• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need Help Identifying (1 Viewer)

I spotted what I think is some kind of hawk in my back yard yesterday. I live right next to a woods (in Ohio), which is where I think this hawk may be nesting, as I have seen it many times in the past. I was finally able to get a quick picture of it, however the bird is far off in the distance. I would appreciate it if anyone could look at the photos I took and help me at least narrow down what this bird might be. Again, the photo quality is poor, but I will try to take a better picture next time I spot it. Below are the pictures I took. Thanks.

PICT1563.jpg

PICT1562.jpg

PICT1561.jpg

PICT1560.jpg

PICT1559.jpg

PICT1558.jpg

Yo. I would say either red shouldered or an juvenile accipiter of some sort. Tail looks a little long for a red tailled. It's hard to estimate the size from the pictures. I can't even be sure it is one of these birds. Sorry, hope someone else can get a pos. i.d.

Edit: yeah, i would say definetly an accipiter just by the posture.

Last edited:
Sharp-shinned in flight (the only way I've ever seen them so far) has very similar proportions to our Sparrowhawk. I'm thinking Cooper's for this one.

I'd be more inclined toward Cooper's too, based on its relative size to the tree trunks (not that we know how big those are). All the Northern Goshawks I've seen are far more gray, and I'm not seeing any of the striking facial pattern you'd see on a Gos.

Hi modena,

It's a difficult call but I think the consensus is that it is either a male Coopers or a female Sharpie. shame your camera memory slowed or your finger stopped pressing when it did - a 'grab' or two as it opened it's wings may have been enough to clinch it.

I'm thinking male Coop - hint of a 'cap', sizeable bill/head (in some shots) and fair thickness of legs.

You don't have any other shots, do you?

Cheers,

Andy.

Boy, is this a great web site. There are so many of you who know a lot about birds. My wife & I have only been birding seriously for about 1 1/2 yrs.
So, I offer my viewpoint in that spirit.
We have a great book - "A Photographic Guide to North American Raptors" by Brian K. Wheeler & William S. Clark. These guys show every variation & regional differences for each species.
Looking carefully thru the pages on Sharpies & Cooper's, as well as the comparitive differences chart in the back, I'd like to say this is a Sharp-shinned Hawk.
I looked at each photo in my photo editor to see if any gave enough sharpness to make a firmer ID. Photo 1558, I believe, shows the sharpest edges & looks like a squared tail w/ a small white terminal band. (1560, even tho' it has blurred edges above, seems to have a sharper view of the end of the tail, too.) The bird also appears to have a rounded head, not the squared nape from raised hackles indicative of the Cooper's.
I'd appreciate if the more experienced birders would look again & see if they see what I think I see. If not, well, still got LOTS to learn!!

After a second, longer look at both 1558 and 1560, I can see your point about the more rounded head. However, because of the angle of the shot, I'm not sure I'd rely on that as being definitive in this case. Unless you recall that the bird did in fact have the less helmeted look (of a Cooper's) when you were observing it? Frequently, your first, live impression of a bird is the most accurate.

Also, the tail shape referred to in the books is based on the fanned, not folded, tail, so unless you can get a clear enough look at the tail itself to see the shorter, outer feathers (which would indicate a rounder tail), I don't think these photos are definitive there, either. In a tightly folded tail, those feathers would only be visible from a front view since they are tucked on the underside when the tail's closed. Sometimes when the tail's less tightly closed, you can see a hint of the shorter feathers on either side even when viewed from the back.

I.e., I honestly don't think we can tell from these photos whether this is a Sharpie or Cooper's -- unless you could hazard a guesstimate on the size of this bird? Sharpies are 1/3 smaller than Cooper's (roughly 11" vs. 16" respectively).

And don't worry if you don't feel definite enough about an ID. There are a lot of birds that just have to go un-ID'd for whatever reason. I see a Sharpie almost daily in my yard, Cooper's much less frequently, and I wouldn't be able to call this one of yours with much confidence. Its bulk in some shots makes me think Cooper's, but then in others, it has the more sleek lines of Sharpie.

BTW, give my regards to Modesto -- my hometown (but only 'til I was 2). ;)

Katy,

I agree w/ you about the uncertainty of ID. Even w/ the sharpest photo these birds are sometimes hard to distinguish between; especially at certain angles.
Just a note. Brian Wheeler & William Clark have several photos & comments re: adult & juv sharpies. Their pics of adults & comments clearly show a squared tail on adults when perched & folded. On juvs, the tails can appear slightly rounded, especially on females.
I'd highly recommend the book for raptor enthusiasts. It can be found on Amazon for about $17. I bought mine at Barnes & Nobles for $18 (no shipping, but it took 4 weeks to get).

P.S., Modesto says hi!! (I don't think the rest of the 240,000 folks mind me saying so!! Yea, we're a BIG city now.) :D

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help. I haven't seen the hawk today, but I have my camera ready for the next time it comes around. Hopefully I will be able to get a better picture.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back