• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southbound Rufous. (1 Viewer)

Congrats on your first. I've had several come through this month and have been driving the ebird folks crazy trying to decide if they were Allen's or Rufous. I finally got photos showing which was which and ended up with a second Allen's for our county's bird count.

Cool. Years vary here. Also we're often not home when they come through heading south. Home this summer though. I sometimes get an Allen's very early (Feb/Mar). After a positive ID years back - I gave that (ID'ing Allen's thing) up.

I've had 6 species. April is best - though my greatest swarm ever were Southbound Rufous. Hundreds.

Back in the day I spent time at 'Gunsight' 'East-West' passes in King's and Sequoia parks. 12,000 feet on average. The right day would have endless Rufous zipping by - heading south. Through the pass. I just read that their population is dropping a few points a year. I hope it levels out.

Ruby-throated are ramping up in numbers and activity here.
Adult Females tending to glean the poke berry patch for insects, far more than males & juvies

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back