• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pointless Geek-Test of 3 Bins (1 Viewer)

OK Sancho, your to blame..;)

Thanks to your remarks I'm going to adopt the baby tommorow.
(Not that I wasn't going to do it earlier)8-P

Isn't that a great smilie? 8-P

I wonder if you should get paid for this? But I'll let Leica make the decision.

Pity that my english is such a pita, I'd like to play with it like you guys do:

Shun the Frumious Bandersnatch???- whatever that is I already like the guy.

OK Sancho, your to blame..;)

Thanks to your remarks I'm going to adopt the baby tommorow.
(Not that I wasn't going to do it earlier)8-P

Isn't that a great smilie? 8-P

I wonder if you should get paid for this? But I'll let Leica make the decision.

Pity that my english is such a pita, I'd like to play with it like you guys do:

Shun the Frumious Bandersnatch???- whatever that is I already like the guy.

Whoa, there, Takitam....don´t rush into adopting a poor little orphan Leica baby just yet....as I said, there are fantastic compacts out there that cost a lot less. The Nikon HGL 8x20 is said to be optically just as good as the Leica, but costs far less, and if you go porro-compact, Opticron Taiga or Nikon Travelite Ex are a lot cheaper. Your English is fine. That "Shun the Frumious Blah-Blah-Blah" isn´t really English, it´s nonsense verse by Lewis Carroll. Google "Jabberwock". Let us know what you do about the compacts!

I was kind of wondering if I can get a compact in 7x that I could pull out of my pocket any time and catch a bird. I think I need a Bushnell custom now. This happens when I look at sparrows in a field at 10x42 and an EVENT happens in the sky, like a hawk or other big thing.

So I only need 2, maybe 3 or more pairs right now.

Sancho - I enjoyed your post for a number of reasons. When a $300 pair of porros compete favorably with the vaunted Swarovski binoculars, it says something. And also because you live in Ireland while I live in rather bleak Montana. We wife are longing to see something green beside our house plants. We won't have anything green (other than the evergreen trees) to look at for at least 3 more months. And we live at parallel 45. This coming Wednesday we drive 650 miles to Seattle Washington, just to get somewhere where we may see some green grass.

I had two Nikon 8x30 E II binoculars which were passed on to friends. They have such short barrels for my very large hands. But the Nikon EII 10x35 stays. It happens to have the very worst covering of any binocular I own. What passes for covering keeps coming off despite re-gluing. Why Nikon didn't rubber cover them is one of those strange mysteries coming out of the Orient. I do have a Swarovski 8x30 porro which is rated as waterproof. It provides an excellent image, (really better than the El or SLCs ) but possesses the worst excuse for fold down rubber eye cups ever put on a binocular. The Swarovski is the old Zeiss classic in form, almost Spartan in appearance. Why Swarovski would make that glass must be an olive branch to the number of old fossils like me who find change difficult to handle.

I hope you do find a Nikon 8x32 SE.

This crazy economy has created some dark humor for English speaking folks and some one liners. In monetary matters liquidity has another definition today. Liquidity according to a broker friend is what happens when you look at your investment portfolio.
John

John,
I have had the same problem with the coverings on my E II's. Loctite makes a number of glues that can be used to re glue the covers when they work loose. They come in small 0.18 ounce plastic bottles with a small brush built into the cap. The Super Glue (01-26441-05) will work and they also have a glue that will work with rubber on metal applications. I found it best to scrape off the old glue residue from the binocular before applying the new glue. They stay reglued too! You can find these bottles in most hardware stores and even in drug stores for the super glue.
Bob

Last edited:
Whoa, there, Takitam....don´t rush into adopting a poor little orphan Leica baby just yet....as I said, there are fantastic compacts out there that cost a lot less. The Nikon HGL 8x20 is said to be optically just as good as the Leica, but costs far less, and if you go porro-compact, Opticron Taiga or Nikon Travelite Ex are a lot cheaper. Your English is fine. That "Shun the Frumious Blah-Blah-Blah" isn´t really English, it´s nonsense verse by Lewis Carroll. Google "Jabberwock". Let us know what you do about the compacts!

Indeed, I'm not very reasonable at the moment, but I've already looked through 2 pairs of Nikon hgl 8x20. I find them very nice but I had some eyebrainstrain with the second pair, which I ordered and returned. I was considering the Travelite ex 8x25 but didn't find any really favorable reviews(of course it doesn't matter if they work for me, but I don't have any opportunity to try before I buy).

Besides I think I want something more 'classy' at the moment regardless of how stupid such attitude may be. And finally, one shop in my country has the Leicas for approx. 130 us dollars more than Nikons, not 300 like in most U.S. online shops. So I think I will try.

And that bandersnatch may be nonsense but it sounds funny. I don't know why, cause it's completely different, but your signature reminds me of one of my favorite english poems(I love the sound of it when it's read out loud- very moody) 'The raven' although afair Poe was an american;)

The frumious bandersnatch is especially good when grilled, with a citrusy glaze. I've never tried the non-frumious.

but beware of the Bandersnatch, for:
...while he was seeking with thimbles and care,
A Bandersnatch swiftly drew nigh
And grabbed at the Banker, who shrieked in despair,
For he knew it was useless to fly.​

......This coming Wednesday we drive 650 miles to Seattle Washington, just to get somewhere where we may see some green grass......

I hope you do find a Nikon 8x32 SE................

........Liquidity according to a broker friend is what happens when you look at your investment portfolio.
John
Excellent, John! Liquidity must be what the Irish Government must be experiencing now as the banking system here collapses around their ears....;) Have a great trip to Seattle; but remember the price paid for year-round green grass is year-round rain! Even if I ever find a pair of SE´s, it´s doubtful Mrs. S. will let me buy them...(have you ever noticed that Husband-earned Brownie Points have a very short shelf life, whereas Wife´s Brownie points last forever?)

....one shop in my country has the Leicas for approx. 130 us dollars more than Nikons, not 300 like in most U.S. online shops. So I think I will try.
Go ahead then and enjoy them, Takitam....I haven´t exhibited much restraint in spending on bins for myself, and to be honest getting the "right" ones for me gives me a lot of pleasure. Hell, we work hard for our money, the occasional treat is well-deserved, so enjoy your new Leicas! You will not be disappointed. Let us know what you think of them!:t:

but beware of the Bandersnatch, for:
...while he was seeking with thimbles and care,
A Bandersnatch swiftly drew nigh
And grabbed at the Banker, who shrieked in despair,
For he knew it was useless to fly.​
:-O Sublime!!! Quite a few Irish Bankers are wishing today they´d been carried off by Bandersnatches.....

I have absolutely no idea, but it's probably something in the lines:
There's no Leica Poland, so the distributor must get them from some other country's distributor and accept the role of being the last in the queue;)

I have absolutely no idea, but it's probably something in the lines:
There's no Leica Poland, so the distributor must get them from some other country's distributor and accept the role of being the last in the queue;)
There´s no Leica Ireland either (pretty soon there won´t be anything Ireland the way things are going), the shops here have to get them from the UK, but I´d never buy them from Irish shops because of the crazy prices. If you order from the UK, do you save anything? It might be much faster. I´m not sure about the exchange rate between Poland and the UK, but sterling is falling, so you might get a great deal?

Indeed, I'm not very reasonable at the moment, but I've already looked through 2 pairs of Nikon hgl 8x20. I find them very nice but I had some eyebrainstrain with the second pair, which I ordered and returned

LOL
Good luck with the shopping. Maybe travel to Germany some day to shop in person?

We in the US take advantage of generous return policies of on line stores. If you are within trade boundaries, maybe you can return them easily to stores elsewhere in Europe.

Sancho
As the polish currency is falling, the price I got in the polish shop is lower than any I had found over the net, to my big surprise. We usually pay 2x or 2.5x more than u.s. prices so this is a very surprising but nice exception. Return policy is also very kind(10 days) although I hope I will not have to take advantage of it. Thanks for the suggestion nevertheless. I'm not really bothered with delivery time, as I had supposed something like that would happen.

Tero
I've made this word with that purpose in mind, I'm glad it worked.

Macs
Nice to meet somebody else from Poland here, jak leci na wyspach?8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back