• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

call on migration (1 Viewer)

Very familiar call, bright "tjyp"! Two possibilities came to my mind --- Lapland bunting or Snow Bunting, but I'm rather sure that this is Lapland.

Last edited:
You will find the same call as an attached file. My friend edited it and the second call on the sample refers perhaps more to Reed Bunting. The call is perhaps a little bit dull for being Lapland. Difficult to be sure, but it's either Reed or Lapland, but maybe after all it will refer to Reed!

Attachments

• CALL 9OCT.mp3
    98.1 KB · Views: 94
Thanks Hannu, commonly, the following attached call is familliar to me as Longspur but walking in Norway this summer learned that the species has a lot of calling, us westeners would associatie with Linnet.
I suppose many of those could be lumped with Linnet erroneously.

The bird in question was heard calling in an area where Reed Bunting is the most abbundant bird; calling every where with several calls.

The question bird had a 'ticking' part as well but not exactly like the one connected with the seccond attached call either.

Attachments

• IJsgors110707.mp3
    200.4 KB · Views: 122
Thanks Hannu, commonly, the following attached call is familliar to me as Longspur but walking in Norway this summer learned that the species has a lot of calling, us westeners would associatie with Linnet.
I suppose many of those could be lumped with Linnet erroneously.

The bird in question was heard calling in an area where Reed Bunting is the most abbundant bird; calling every where with several calls.

The question bird had a 'ticking' part as well but not exactly like the one connected with the seccond attached call either.

Yep, you are right about that they have very similar calls (also with Linnet and maybe even Twite), but Longspur has usually very sharp and clear flying call, ... always easy to id such migrating birds in the field.
The second call in your first sample due to me suggest after all Reed Bunting!

Yea, I know about this very sharp call; you mean the following one.
But I didn't hear it in many cases of Lapland Longspur when I was at the fjell.
In the end, most sounded like the call I previously posted.
In fact, I was worried about it not to identify it when I encountered one in the Netherlands.

This bird flew past close.

Attachments

• IJsgors110707.mp3
    200.4 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back