• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece Projection Photography with Scopetronix Maxview (1 Viewer)

Can Popper

When I decided to get into eyepiece projection photography, I was very confused by the myriad of choices available. One solution that has always intrigued me was the Scopetronix Maxview eyepiece projection unit. It is large enough for me to do eyepiece projection photography with my Pentax zoom.

In my first go with the Maxview, I used the Siebert Performance 35mm eyepiece. Of the various eyepieces I have, my favorites have become the Pentax XW's and the Siebert Performances. These two provide the most razor sharp images out of all the eyepieces I have on my various scopes. Even better, the Performance takes off where the Pentax XW's leave off offering long eyerelief eyepieces at the 26mm, 32mm, and 35mm focal lengths. The area where the Performances loses to the Pentax are:
1. Narrower FOV
2. Fully Coated as opposed to the Pentaxes' SMC
However, the price of the Siebert Performance Series is very reasonable coming in at $70.

Now onward to the results. The Maxview seats the eyepiece higher so without some barlow the images cannot come into focus. Thus, the following pictures were taken with the included 1.3x barlow nosepiece. The bird, I don't know what kind it is, was shot at a range of 70 yards.

Attachments

• MaxViewSetup.jpg
    MaxViewSetup.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 403
  • MaxViewScopeSetup.jpg
    MaxViewScopeSetup.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Bird1.jpg
    Bird1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 488
  • Bird2.jpg
    Bird2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Hi Can, Looks like a Sparrow Hawk to me Falco Sparverius , American Kestrel , a Falcon for sure.:)
Thanks for posting your impressions about the Scopetronix Maxview, they have a two inch version too.
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back