• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

neck straps (1 Viewer)

edwincjones

sorry to be a little off topic, but I am looking for a comfortable neck strap for my 35 oz zeiss 8x56 dialyt binouclars, and wonder what you are using for the 41 oz 50mm canons?

edj

Ed, for a long time I carried my 15x/18x50 IS on the OP/TECH Pro Loop Strap. While it was very confortable with the weight, the thick rubber became hot/sweaty in the summer and could get tangled up in my collars.

Then I took advantage of the tripod mount on the binocular to use a BlackRapid-type camera strap to carry the binocular bandolier style. Using a strap bandolier style was a real revelation in comfort and utility. I have since sold the Canons, but I now carry all my binoculars on a long strap bandolier style. For my heaviest 12x50SE, I use this OP/TECH Bin/Op strap. For the lightweight Bushnell Excursion 8x28 I use an unpadded nylon 1/2" web strap.

Last edited:
The Bino Manger harness from Coleman
http://coleman.com/SearchResults?SearchText=bino manager
is dirt cheap and very comfortable, even for heavy binocs such as the Docter 12x50.
The sleeve that protects and snugs the glass against the chest is not needed in most circumstances and can be detached.
The straps can also be hooked around one's belt at the back so the harness acts as suspenders for the binoculars, which is my preference when carrying my Canon 10x42.

Ed,

A friend of ours has carried a 15x50 Canon for many years with a bandolier style strap.

I carry a Fuji HS20 in the same way with a custom made 1.5" OP/TECH strap, secured to the lugs with quick-disconnects and OP/TECH Uni-Loops (Stock #1301062).

It's a good idea to not have any fittings at all on the strap, in order to avoid binding over your shoulder with clothing or daypack straps and so on, as you bring the binoculars up. Without even a length adjustment on the strap, you need to get the length of the strap just right, a matter of trial and error, which is relatively easy to figure out.

You need to allow 4" for the OP/TECH quick-discoonect and OP/TECH Uni-Loop between the end of the strap (where it's sewn to the quick-disconnect), and the binocular lug. (AFAIK, the quick-disconnect between the strap and the Uni-Loop is not on the OP/TECH website.)

For me the right overall length is 54"; so deducting 8" for the attachment hardware, leaves the nylon webbing strap with a finished length of 46".

Terry at OP/TECH is experienced with putting together custom straps, and did this for me recently, at modest cost; her email: [email protected].

MIke

Last edited:
Ask a question twice, receive two answers. (I don't think Confucious said that but he should have.)

I'm totally with Mike on the Bandolier strap. I make my own out of nylon webbing from here and there, sewing on loops of narrow webbing clipped from neck straps I don't want. My heavy 56mm rides on a 2" wide piece.

I have fitted all my binoculars with these things, except the 10x50 Ultravid, which gets the old fashioned Fujinon strap. That's so my wife can use it, and she has remarked on how comfortable it is. Also, because I have run out of nylon webbing.
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back