• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A95 MF distance settings. (1 Viewer)

john-henry

Have just bought an A95 so still feeling my way around it.
Has anyone come up with a way around the manual focus distance setting, it is a bit of a "pain in the *" having to run through the two scales to get to infinity when a bird is sitting in front of you.
First impressions are it's going to be a great camera for digiscoping, it has everything needed for good quality shots, just a few settings need sorting for speedier use.
I'm finding the easiest way to use it at the moment is to put the settings you use most in C mode and work from there.

John-henry

A95 MF distance settings

alan_rymer said:
John-henry

Try using the scope to focus, not the camera!.

Alan , thanks for your reply - I've sorted the problem now and got infinity distance locked into C mode in MF.

Re. focusing only with the scope, you would never be able to follow a moving bird as the camera would be on and off the scope everytime it moved.
I find if you focus the bird in the scope to start with then switch to MF with the camera distance setting at infinity you can keep the bird in focus fairly easily using the scope only. But what I have also found is if you focus with the scope to start with and switch to MF the bird will not be in focus until the camera is given some idea of the distance it should focus at - altering the focus on the scope at this time is not going to help - I find by running the MF distance scale up to infinity gives good results with just some fine tuning with the scope.

ps. I noticed your thread about someone listing the parts etc. for making your own battery pack, I'd greatly appreciate a copy of it if you have any luck. Thanks for your help Alan.

regards
john-henry

john-henry said:
Alan , thanks for your reply - I've sorted the problem now and got infinity distance locked into C mode in MF.

Re. focusing only with the scope, you would never be able to follow a moving bird as the camera would be on and off the scope everytime it moved.
I find if you focus the bird in the scope to start with then switch to MF with the camera distance setting at infinity you can keep the bird in focus fairly easily using the scope only. But what I have also found is if you focus with the scope to start with and switch to MF the bird will not be in focus until the camera is given some idea of the distance it should focus at - altering the focus on the scope at this time is not going to help - I find by running the MF distance scale up to infinity gives good results with just some fine tuning with the scope.

ps. I noticed your thread about someone listing the parts etc. for making your own battery pack, I'd greatly appreciate a copy of it if you have any luck. Thanks for your help Alan.

regards
john-henry
Hmm

I will have to try that!.

The battery pack I posted about was for the Kyocera SL400r, not the Canon.
Sorry!.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back