• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pair of coin-operated binoculars stolen in Massachusetts (1 Viewer)

David in NC

Hope these don't show up in the Classified section!

http://www.wral.com/a-pair-of-coin-operated-binoculars-stolen-in-massachusetts/16585872/

A pair of coin-operated binoculars stolen in Massachusetts

FLORIDA, Mass. — Massachusetts State Police are investigating the theft of a pair of 305-pound, coin-operated, binocular-like devices that gave tourists spectacular views along the state's famous Mohawk Trail.

The scenic viewers are mounted on metal posts that are often found at inspiring vistas.

Police said Wednesday they think the bronze and cast iron viewers were cut from their wooden platform next to the Eastern Summit gift shop in the town of Florida sometime between February 27 and March 7.

Police say the devices, manufactured by Tower Optical, are considered collectibles because so few are made.

Tourism officials say the views from the Eastern Summit extend 65 miles on a clear day.

It is a bit heavy for a 10x42 binocular.

I think I looked through one on the Empire State building about 1959 maybe.

We had coin operated binoculars at British seaside locations, but I found my binocular better. And my 25x - 40x 2 1/4 inch Broadhurst Clarkson collapsible scope much better.

Unfortunately it doesn't take the new 12 sided pound coin coming out in two weeks, or the 12 sided threepenny bit, so I've had to give this binocular a miss

On the Moon it would only weigh about 50 lbs. More manageable there.

Maybe Kowa and Fuji make coin operated binoculars.

A 25x150 or 40x150 would be fun.

Most likely drug related, users to sell for drug money or dealers hoping to use them to spot the police.
Shame though.
Fujinon makes coin operated bino's but they are not cheap.
Same as their ship mounted heavy hitters.
Art

If my memory serves me right, and it often does not,:smoke: I remember reading some where that these binoculars are 9x63. I closely looked one over at an overlook (pun intended) on Interstate 81 in New York state and it looked to me like the objectives were about that diameter.

Bob

Tower Optical mention 10x42 but they may have varied over time, especially with new coatings.

They can contain about $500 in coins.

There were coin operated telescopes in the U.K. also. But often not well maintained.

Sleepless in Seattle 1993 movie shows many of these binoculars in the end scene.
Also in close up.

Although I think called telescope.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back