• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding holiday in August? (1 Viewer)

nbalblas

August usually represents a very quite time of year when it comes to birds.
Are there any good birding destinations in August. (Not in Australasia, Africa or South-America)

Thanks for your ideas!

Middle to end of August starts migration in different places in Europe.
In north Germany e.g. at bird island Langenwerder or near Greifswald.
I suppose this time is also very good for Netherland.

Also seabird migration at Porto Moniz Madeira has peak end of August to middle of September. Search for Michel de Lange or for Kees Rebel at trektellen.

Same time starts also raptor migration at Batumi.

Ireland is more interesting middle of September. Many seabirds and high chance for north american waders e.g. at Dingle Peninsula or Cape Clear island.

Thank you for your answers. My time off would be from 30th of july untill the 24th of August, so I think this might be a bit early for a good migration... But it's worth considering!

I remember many years ago several lesser spotted eagle at Falsterbo during the last week of August. I believe it had been seen several days before we arrived.

In a different year, an August visit to the Pyrenees was not too shabby if you like vultures and similar.

Niels

Middle of August start migration in North Germany, even in south are many migrants in this time. But I suppose most of migrants like waders youu can see also in Netherland.

In a book about Oeland I read, in Juni and Juli migrates the first Black Scooters and Eider, Gulls and Terns.

see also
https://visitoland.com/en/birding/

I read about Getteroen
End Juli to begin of August migrates the first waders and a couple of thousend ducks.

For waders 15. to 20. August, maybe is the best time.
I would expect 20 - 25 different per day.
But I suppose same in Netherland, but much more individuals.

In this time, in North Germany I would expect one or more Broad billed Sandpiper, different Caspian Gulls, different White tailed Eagles. Also still some Osprey and Lesser spotted Eagle.
But this time is still frequented by many tourist and infrastructure in Germany crashed because to much money into export and military.

see also
https://image.stern.de/7662774/uncropped-0-0/706d136db1142c5730ef0a293897bb5f/Ej/a20-autobahn.jpg

https://www.mz-web.de/image/2856092...f2750d5775c/gc/b-a20-abgesackt-101017--2-.jpg

August, particularly the latter half of the month, can be an excellent time to visit Cadiz province as a reasonable variety and good numbers of raptors (esp. Black Kites) plus White Storks will be crossing the straits. It's also a good time to look for Lesser Crested Tern and any wetlands that remain can be very good.

Attachments

• Table.png
    Table.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 28
Considering you're not excluding Asia, I'd say Thailand, lots of birding hotspots there...

Not a good time of the year to visit Thailand: it's the rainy season. Malaysia and Indonesia fine though and both recommened. But I presume SA and Africa ruled out due to cost, so that may rule out Asia too.

Basically Europe horribly hot at this time of year, so when I'm in Europe in August- which is quite a bit since I had kids - I tend to concentrate on higher areas such as the Alps, Pyrennes and Picos so it's a bit more bearable.

Southern countries in Europe are hot like Greece, Spain, Italy an so on.
If you come to noth like Baltic sea it can be cool, but chance of really hot weather is rather low near the coast.
In north and even middle of Europa, different birds left their area in August e.g. waders.

for example

http://www.oulu.fi/northnature/english/englanti/elaimetmulin.html

"The end of July is already busy time for returners. Anyhow there aren’t big flocks of migratory birds, they just disappear from the inland. They gather in to certain places to form bigger flocks. Many broods are already able to fly and they leave too. Swallows gather in to flocks, last starlings fly restlessly in big flocks and first white wagtail groups appear to the roadsides.

Most shorebirds disappear in August and perching birds seek for food everywhere in bushes and in courtyards. Big birds of prey and first cranes start their migration, although the main migration is in September. In September the migration can also be noticed the best. Thrushes and chaffinches come to courtyards and cranes, wood pigeons, pipits and buntings are found from fields. Thrushes fly after rowan tree berries to courtyards and to parks, cranes gather in to big flocks to unthreshed fields."

I like middle of August, because many migration waders appear and other interesting birds still there like Lesser spotted Eagle, Osprey, swallows, terns.

Thanks all of you guys for your input! There are currently 2 reasons to exclude Asia, Africa and SA.
1. Don't want to bird these continents unguided, and this has to be an unguided trip.
2. My dad who is joining me is quite fussy about these continents.

Since I've birded Europe quite intensively, the Europe-list is nearing the finish.

Species-wise I've found 3 options:
1. Finland-region. But won't be the right tim of year I suppose.
2. Belarus-region. " "
3. SE Arizona. Great timing but tickets are outrageously costy this time of year.

So what's your take on #1 & #2? Any ideas to fly cheaper to Arizona in summer?

Thanks again for thinking with me.

Try searching tickets to California from London on Skyscanner - especially Norwegian Air to LAX can be super cheap. There are a lot more options from Heathrow/Gatwick than from Schiphol which reduces the price. For example on your dates a return is under £600 (so about €0.20 post-referendum ;))
LA to Tuscon is 'only' a 7 h drive but plenty to see on the way and you could get a one-way hire and a cheap internal flight back to LAX.

On an entirely unrelated note you would take your fussy dad to Belarus but not Costa Rica or Sabah? 3:)

Joost

I would second that combining Norwegian with something like southwest airlines or JetBlue should be on your list of options to check for traveling to AZ. It is very hot in most places in SE AZ at that time, and spring obviously better for most birdlife.

Niels

Hi guys, Thanks for the input once more!

Joost: I'll look into that. It might be a good option indeed. My dad has the idea that South-American countries don't meet his hygienic code and you'd get mugged easily, but I'm working on getting him to Costa Rica.

Niels: We've been to California last summer, it was hot, but quite doable and a lot of birds were quite active in the heat.

The German chap: We're going to Texas in spring already, so we've got that covered. Also been to SF in summer 2016. Also, I've got most US and European waders already on my list, same with Raptors, so those aren't my top-priority.

If any of you think of something else, please share your thoughts and otherwise I'll keep you posted on my decision.

Thanks again!

Hi guys, Thanks for the input once more!

Joost: I'll look into that. It might be a good option indeed. My dad has the idea that South-American countries don't meet his hygienic code and you'd get mugged easily, but I'm working on getting him to Costa Rica.

Asia is I'd say safer than Europe. South American at birding places generally pretty safe and in South African game parks - where you'd be most the time - about as safe from mugging as it's possible to get anywhere on the planet. I even left my scope in one of the latter and it was handed in. Outside India and Nepal, I've never had more than minor stomach upsets in a lot of time travelling in Asia and SA and not a hint of anything in southern Africa. I've had bad food poisoning twice in Europe, despite having had far fewer meals out.

Oh, I hear you Steve. But maybe this'll persuade him a bit. How were the accomodations you stayed at?
Also, is it safe to drive about in a rental vehicle?

I have no idea about south american places overall.
Chile was very save, Argentina during Kirchner govement to.
Driving is easy because low traffic.
For more information now, maybe can help Guy Cox.

In every case in South America, I do not have crashing streets, crashing bridges or burning trains like in Germany.

Ah yes hadn't thought of Argentina/Chile but they are very highly recommended (though not cheap to get to). It's the right time of year for northern Argentina and you could do a fabulous itinerary from BA to Iguazu, or maybe even west up to the Andes. Easy driving (OK BA is a bit crazy but less so than Dutch motorways during rush hour), good accommodation, safe, clean and great food. I can put you in contact with some local guides if you like.
The city reserves in BA are very highly recommended, as are the pampa lowlands surrounding the city. Driving west into Entre Rios you could get a day list of 100+ with not too much effort, and stay at Rio de Las Aves (luxurious lodge with private reserve; they also have cheaper rooms for muddy birders). Then the Ibera wetlands and finish off in the Atlantic forest of Misiones (plus the amazing Iguazu falls). I'd go back there in a heartbeat!
Patagonia is amazing but unfortunately the wrong time of year...

Costa Rica and the Yucatan are easy as pie - so many tourists go there the whole place is set up for them. And I agree with Steve on the safety aspect of SE Asia, although your dad might struggle with the hygiene levels at times. Having said that I did a short self-drive/self-guided trip to Sabah earlier this year and that was reasonable. Levels of accommodation etc not quite as good as Latin America (outside the tourist areas definitely less so) but great roads, great birding, better food and something to consider: very cheap flights (mine were under £400 return and that's no exception).

Cheers,
Joost

Last edited:
In Chile, I remember thinking it reminded me of traveling in a European country regarding how safe it felt. The general guide book contained a warning against "never, ever try to bribe a policeman in this country".

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back