• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PF-80ED owners, your opinion on higher magnification eyepieces. (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
I recently purchased a Pentax PF-80ED with the SMC 20x-60x zoom. I am extremely happy with performance of the scope and the eyepiece, other than the eye relief dropping off slightly in the middle zoom range.

I have already run in to a situation where I could have used more magnification. The scope certainly appears able to handle more, with the right viewing conditions.

I am considering something in the 4mm to 6mm range, possibly a Tele Vue Radian or Vixen Lanthanum.

What higher mag eyepieces have you tried in your scopes, and what was your opinion of them?

Also, has anyone tried a 2x barlow in the PF-80ED with the SMC zoom?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Also, has anyone tried a 2x barlow in the PF-80ED with the SMC zoom?

Hello jmepler'
I very much doubt if the eyepiece
will reach focus with a Barlow i.e. not seating
in far enough.

young Ian.

Hi jmepler, I own a Vixen 5mm Lanthanium and I find it quite a bit dark in cloudy days, good enough in sunlight days. I own also a 12mm Coronado Cemax eyepiece that is great. Usually I dont push the scope farther than the 12mm but it can easily hold a 7.5mm Takahashi eyepiece.
I'd go for a good planetary eyepiece like a 5mm Tele Vue Radian.

The scope is magnificient. Sometimes equal or possibly better that others that cost a fortune.
r-

I usually scope over water. At 60x the image starts to break up on distant birds, due to air currents over the water. In really cold weather you might get past 60x. Also, most tripods shake too much to be much use at over 60x.

My current scope, I only go to 49x.

I am not the most experienced with scopes, but experienced birders learn to deal with the info you get at 30-60x and make intelligent guesses.

I have the Orion Stratus 5mm and the Siebert Ultra 7mm.

For the 5mm, I think it is on the edge of usable. 7mm is quite good with nice long eyerelief. Both would be fine in decent light. Look through past threads and you can find pics I posted using both.

I use my PF-80ED with 5.2mm Pentax XL eyepiece for astro use only. My favorite eyepiece is the 20mm XW with that scope. I also use the 20-60x zoom and 14mm XL.

The 80mm is my wife's scope.

For her the "normal" ep is 13mm (40x) Stratus 13mm. If it's a bright clear day and she wants more reach she uses a 9mm TMB planetary at about 60x. She seems to be happy with this combination.

SF

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back