• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Swan (1 Viewer)

Buddhist Vegan Birder

wrong place, wrong time
Can I count a Black Swan as a 'tick' in the UK considering they're an introduced/escaped species? Saw one today, the first I have not seen in captivity.

thanks,

Lisa x

Can I count a Black Swan as a 'tick' in the UK considering they're an introduced/escaped species? Saw one today, the first I have not seen in captivity.

thanks,

Lisa x

I guess the majority out there would not tick it. The Black Swan is not considered to be self sustaining and was not afforded admission on to the official British list, unless things have since changed.

I think I'll have to pass on adding the Black Swan... did try to get Scaup, Med Gull and Roseate Tern today that had been reported locally, without success unfortunately. I was lucky that I managed to stumble on the Goldcrest! :)

Lisa x

I think I'll have to pass on adding the Black Swan... did try to get Scaup, Med Gull and Roseate Tern today that had been reported locally, without success unfortunately. I was lucky that I managed to stumble on the Goldcrest! :)

Lisa x

Never mind, if it makes you feel any better I've never had Roseate Tern either. ;)

I guess the majority out there would not tick it. The Black Swan is not considered to be self sustaining and was not afforded admission on to the official British list, unless things have since changed.

That's the problem with wildfowl isn't it? To me Black Swans, especially here in Sussex where they have been breeding at a number of sites for years, are as self-sustaining as Mandarins for example, and a damn sight more so than Golden or LA Pheasants, both of which are acceptable....confusingly contradictive methods

That's the problem with wildfowl isn't it? To me Black Swans, especially here in Sussex where they have been breeding at a number of sites for years, are as self-sustaining as Mandarins for example, and a damn sight more so than Golden or LA Pheasants, both of which are acceptable....confusingly contradictive methods

I know what you mean and surely it's only a matter of time before they are excepted onto the British list. A maximum of 9 pairs bred in 2001 but no doubt the number is now much higher.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back