• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 12x56 B T* has anyone tried this one? (1 Viewer)

Rich N

The Zeiss Victory 12x56 B T* isn't likely to be used on a long birding hike but it should be a very nice astro binocular.

Have any of you tried this binocular (Zeiss part #525663) ?

I have used a 10x56 Victory. It is very nice but I prefer 12x and 8x for non IS astro binoculars.

I have the Nikon 12x50 SE and Leica 12x50 BA. They are very nice. The Nikon has a sharper edge of field. The Leica seems to have a little better contrast.

One interesting thing about the Zeiss 12x Victory it has enough focuser travel to let me use it without my eye glasses. It would be nice to know if the Zeiss is sharper at the edge of the field than the 12x Leica.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
Rich N said:
The Zeiss Victory 12x56 B T* isn't likely to be used on a long birding hike but it should be a very nice astro binocular.

Have any of you tried this binocular (Zeiss part #525663) ?

I have used a 10x56 Victory. It is very nice but I prefer 12x and 8x for non IS astro binoculars.

I have the Nikon 12x50 SE and Leica 12x50 BA. They are very nice. The Nikon has a sharper edge of field. The Leica seems to have a little better contrast.

One interesting thing about the Zeiss 12x Victory it has enough focuser travel to let me use it without my eye glasses. It would be nice to know if the Zeiss is sharper at the edge of the field than the 12x Leica.

Thanks,
Rich

Hi Rich,

I compared the 12x Zeiss Victory with the Nikon 12x50 SE in May this year. The Zeiss is much brighter, has a noticable greater field of view - to my eyes more than official informations are indicating - and slightly more contrast. AFAIK all 56 Victories have more focuser travel than competitor binoculars so I assume there are no problems to use the 12x without eye glasses. Edge sharpness is a little bit better with the Nikon but I guess the Zeiss is better in this respect than the 12x50 Leica which has the greatest fov of these three. In respect of eye relief the Zeiss is very near to the Nikon of about 17 mm. The value of the 12x56 Zeiss Victory for birding is clearly limited by its weight (1300 g). I didn´t try the 12x56 Victory in astro use but I guess it performs very well in this respect, maybe better than any other 12x bino because of its high light transmission and strong contrast abilities. I ask myself if we´ll gonna see a 56 Victory FL series in the future.

Steve

Thanks very much, Steve!

The 12x56 sounds like an outstanding astro binocular.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to see if an FL version is on its way.

Rich

Rich N said:
Thanks very much, Steve!

The 12x56 sounds like an outstanding astro binocular.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to see if an FL version is on its way.

Rich

Someone on Cloudy Nights heard that 56mm FL binoculars are on their way. I don't know if that includes the 12x56.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back