• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS vs Fujinon / Nikon IS (1 Viewer)

edwincjones

I recently have developed an interest in image stabilized binoculars after getting the Canon 12x36IS and am now wondering about the nikon and fuji models.
The Canons seem much more popular, but why?
What are the advantages/disadvantages with the less popular Fujinon and Nikon stabilized binoculars?
I realize this is a Canon forum, but be fair with the others.

edj

Hi edj,

My recollection is that the Fuji glass (which Nikon sells relabeled) uses solid prisms that shift to stabilize the image. That gives them over 5 degrees motion offset, almost 10x the 0.7 degrees the Canon's soft mount system will do. The Canon system works well for cutting hand tremors, but if you are trying to observe from a boat or a moving vehicle, the Fujis are the better bet.
Against that, the Fujis are ergonomically klutzy, at least I think, more power hungry and come in inconvenient sizes for birders, such as 14x40. While my 10x42 Canon ISL serves very well as an all round birding glass, the Fuji StabilEye's design, wide with handles on the sides, is less practical for following small passerines flitting in the treetops for me.
Fuji makes excellent marine glasses and I believe the StabilEyes are fully waterproof, which the smaller 10x30 Canon glasses are not, but of course there is a huge price difference as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back