• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds stopped feeding from feeders (1 Viewer)

Barmixer

The birds in my yard are active, but recently have stopped feeding from my feeders. One is a basic square squirrel proof feeder, and the other is a tube feeder with bottom tray. The feed is dry, and the birds eat the seed we put on the ground. I'm baffled. Please help.

Hi Barmixer and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your thread to the Bird Feeding forum as I think you'll get a better response there.

Feeders are dirty?

Most likely I would say therewas a Predator spotted. If the birds know of a predator close by they will move somewhere else for a few weeks knowing the predator will return looking for food. House Sparrows do this all the time by me when a Hawk gets too close.

Agree with Aloof, possibly a Hawk or even a cat might be making them not come back. Have you had a smell at the food as it may have gone off in the tube, this has happened in mine in the past it looked fine but one sniff told me it wasnt.

How about getting some fatballs or even a change of your normal seed.

Another thing that it could possibly be is that with the leaves now gone from most trees they might not be feeling safe to go on the feeders.

I searched out this forum and found this thread because I'm having the same problem. There was a hawk kill in the bushes near my bird feeders about two weeks ago, and the birds haven't been back. I'm starting to get a few finches now, a few of my woodpeckers have continued to visit sporadically, and today I've had a nuthatch and a chickadee, but nothing like the crowds of birds I usually have. It's saving money on seed, but I miss them!!

Please reassure me that they will eventually return. They will, right?

The food in my feeders rarely got the chance to go off with Greenfinches in particular all over them and keeping them stocked up was the main problem but I find I am throwing a lot away now, with very little coming to the feeders since last Spring. Still an occasional Robin and Coal Tits but the Sparrows, Finches and the other Tits have gone. I wonder if an excellent summer for growth has meant they don't need my handouts just now? I haven't been able to see any other change

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back