• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring in Scotland (1 Viewer)

badger1962

Hello there, hoping that someone can give me some hints/tips for a possible holiday in Scotland early in 2014.

Unfortunately I have had to retire through ill health ( just turned 51)and am unable to walk more than 10 to 15 minutes without discomfort and fatigue.

I was thinking about driving up ( or possibly flying and hiring a car to save time) as my wife will be driving.

Ideally would like a base (hotel or B&B ) from where to travel each day or just enjoy the locality if not up to it on specific days. Would love to see Crested tit, poss PTarmigan, CApercaillie, eagle etc if possible, but the most important thing is a peaceful restful place to enjoy the scenery.

Any suggestions or personal recommendations would be gratefully received, esp re: whether to fly or drive. Also what's the best time to go to avoid the midges!

Many thanks in advance,

Howard

Hi Howard - sorry you're not keeping so well.

Crested Tit and Capercaillie you're really only likely to see in Speyside, notably at the Loch Garten Reserve. Ptarmigan are going to be a bit harder for you if you can't walk far, as they're really only found on the top of the Cairngorms... however you could get lucky if you went down to the Cairnwell and scoped from the car park. Have a look at the Scotland page in Opus for ideas of places to visit.

You'll find that midges are more of a problem in the West and from June onwards. That's not to say there aren't any in the East but they're most troublesome in low-lying areas near water and in still air.

There'll be loads more ideas for you coming soon, I'm sure.

I travel up each spring flying into Glasgow where I hire a car and drive up to Fort William staying under Ben Nevis. From here you are able to drive to some of the hot spots like Loch Garten, Findhorn Valley. Loch Ruthven, Ardnamurchan, Cairngorm, Lochindorb etc etc etc
You'll have a blast and don't worry about walking as you'll be able to drive to all these great places as long as you don't mind an hour or two in the car to get to and from them each day. I'm back in May too and can't wait!

Enjoy.

Hello there, hoping that someone can give me some hints/tips for a possible holiday in Scotland early in 2014.

Unfortunately I have had to retire through ill health ( just turned 51)and am unable to walk more than 10 to 15 minutes without discomfort and fatigue.

I was thinking about driving up ( or possibly flying and hiring a car to save time) as my wife will be driving.

Ideally would like a base (hotel or B&B ) from where to travel each day or just enjoy the locality if not up to it on specific days. Would love to see Crested tit, poss PTarmigan, CApercaillie, eagle etc if possible, but the most important thing is a peaceful restful place to enjoy the scenery.

Any suggestions or personal recommendations would be gratefully received, esp re: whether to fly or drive. Also what's the best time to go to avoid the midges!

Many thanks in advance,

Howard

Hi Howard. I'll PM you in the morning as I've just had a session in Swansea. Glad you're well enough to travel.

Rich

Many thanks in advance,

Howard

Fly to Inverness hire a car.

Mid to end of April perfect to avoid midges, Nethybridge perfect base for Crested Tits Black Grouse and Capercaillie (as long as you up REALLY early and having a wee slow drive around by the woods as they very often strut their stuff on the verges).

Nethy is also perfect for visiting Aviemore, Inverness, Culbin Sands, Loch Garten, Loch Lochindorb (Black Throated Diver hot spot) basically where ever you want within a short drive of an hour or so.

If its a chilled day you need its superb to kick back and watch the Ospreys glide over too.

I travel up each spring flying into Glasgow where I hire a car and drive up to Fort William staying under Ben Nevis. From here you are able to drive to some of the hot spots like Loch Garten, Findhorn Valley. Loch Ruthven, Ardnamurchan, Cairngorm, Lochindorb etc etc etc
You'll have a blast and don't worry about walking as you'll be able to drive to all these great places as long as you don't mind an hour or two in the car to get to and from them each day. I'm back in May too and can't wait!

Enjoy.

I'd also suggest getting hold of Gordon Hamlett's book if you don't have it already as I've found it really helpful on my trips.
"Best birdwatching sites in the Scottish Highlands" B :)

Scotland trip

Thanks to all (Delia,Brian2, Rich, RAtal) for the kind thoughts and advice. Makes me all the more determined to go for it whilst I can.
Cheers, Howard

Another for Nethybridge, nice central location with plenty nearby and not too far away. Plenty of accommodation there as well. Cresties and dipper in the village. Would recommend Gordon Hamlett's book on Scotland its a very good guide.

Phil

I was up in the Highlands in May 2011 and failed to see any Crested Tits, despite spending most days looking for them. If anyone can give you a heads up on a nest site you will be OK, but otherwise be wary of staking out feeders in May. Thankfully I had the opportunity to head back up last month and got a Crestie at RSPB Loch Garten, although I had to make two visits and wait over an hour.

Mentioning Nethybridge - both the Nethybridge and the Mountview Hotel are good bases. Mountview especially so as it is the Home of Heatherlea bird watching holidays. Nearby at Grantown on Spey the Grant Arms Hotel also organise birdwatching breaks for you.:t:

Mentioning Nethybridge - both the Nethybridge and the Mountview Hotel are good bases. Mountview especially so as it is the Home of Heatherlea bird watching holidays. Nearby at Grantown on Spey the Grant Arms Hotel also organise birdwatching breaks for you.:t:

Very decent food at the Mountview as well:eat:

I was up in the Highlands in May 2011 and failed to see any Crested Tits, despite spending most days looking for them. If anyone can give you a heads up on a nest site you will be OK, but otherwise be wary of staking out feeders in May. Thankfully I had the opportunity to head back up last month and got a Crestie at RSPB Loch Garten, although I had to make two visits and wait over an hour.

May through to the end of summer,can be difficult for locating Crested Tits.They become a lot more secretive at that time of year and are higher up In the trees.However,If you are going earlier In the year,I would think you have a very good chance of seeing them and they are regular at the Feeding Station next to the Osprey Hide at Loch Garten,which should be easier for you to visit,than some of the rough paths In the woods.

Crested Tit will be hard to find on your own whilst walking through the woods and all will be away from feeders I guess by that time so my advice is to learn the call....so much easier to locate in pine woods then.

Hi Howard,

Several people have been kind enough to mention my book in reply to your query.

Just to let you know that a brand new edition is due out this February, so if you are interested, it will be worth holding on till then.

The book is presented as a series of tours through the Highlands, taking in all the best scenery etc and pointing out the best places en route to stop and watch.

Most of the included sites can be viewed from the car, or with minimum walking. If you are looking for beautiful valleys (though strictly speaking, there are no valleys in Scotland, only glens and straths), woods, lochs, mountains and seaviews, then I think that this book would more than suit your purposes.

Midges won't be a problem in spring.

If you would like more details, or want to have a look at a sample chapter, then send me a pm with your email address, or email me at gordon dot hamlett at btinternet dot com

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Gordon

May through to the end of summer,can be difficult for locating Crested Tits.They become a lot more secretive at that time of year and are higher up In the trees.However,If you are going earlier In the year,I would think you have a very good chance of seeing them and they are regular at the Feeding Station next to the Osprey Hide at Loch Garten,which should be easier for you to visit,than some of the rough paths In the woods.

Or there are feeders on the edge of the forest viewable from the 'Grebe information board' near the grebe car park just on the edge of the village (Loch Garten). With a bit of patience we've usually seen crested tits there.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back