• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular for wild safari or bird (1 Viewer)

Tuto,

There are 8 or 10x42 binoculars in your price range from Nikon, Opticron, Hawke, Vanguard, Minox and others that would do what you job on your Safari. They should do a pretty good job in terms of versatility but don't have the wider views, higher transmission, colour rendition etc. you normally only get at much higher prices. We like the little Monarch 7 because it has some characteristics you would associate with higher prices and has the advantage of being small and light. It's not perfect, but he main down side is the smaller exit pupil. It won't be great by moonlight, but you will still see a lot more than with your eyes alone.

Pesonally, I'd probably take a couple of binoculars on safari, but the most important would be the one I could hang round my neck all the time. You don't want to miss an opportunity.

You should ignore those review sites. I'm sure there is a back story why BBR hasn't reviewed a Nikon in over 5 years but I don't think it would help this discussion.

David

considering the time and expense of a safari
that this may be a once in a lifetime experience
I would suggest consider increasing the optic budget

edj

For a Safari, the best option would be the Canon 10x42 IS L. With image stabilization, you will see much more. If this is too expensive, then either the Canon 10x30 or 12x36.

Kimmo

For our Africa safaris I have used 8x42, 8x45, 7x42 and 8x32 binoculars (not all at the same time of course but at different occasions) and sometimes a light weight telescope from an open car window. They all served me well in all sorts of light conditions, stationary as well as on foot through the field.
Gijs van Ginkel

Tutosat, post 27,
I used Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars and in one occasion a Bynolyth 8x36 (low price model with open bridge, worked also well).
Gijs van Ginkel

EDJ, What Brand/model and budget do you advise?

I would suggest getting the best quality optics that you can "reasonably" afford.
If possible, go to a store that has many different brands/models *and see which one you like.
For open plains I would probably want 10x42s.

That said, the trip is for a limited time and I would want something that I would use afterwords.

edj

*brand/model is a personal preference and what I, or others, would like may not be what you would like.

Last edited:
I presume you will not often, if at all, observe in dense forest. So a 8x30 or 8x32 model should be pretty close to ideal for your trip.

10x might be preferable, but that depends - as had been mentioned before - on how well you can hold your binoculars steady. Also, in that case the smaller field of view becomes more critical on top of it. So how experienced are you with using binoculars? If you are essentially a beginner, that should also speak for choosing a 8x model.

At any rate, it is important that you take along a halfway decent model. Which one is not really that critical. Of course, you want one that is optimal, but as had been mentioned before as well, for that purpose you would need to be able to actually try out the models. I know what you mean when you say you have very limited access to do that in your country. But maybe you know some people who have binoculars, so you could try their models even if they are more expensive ones. At least you can get a feeling for the sizes and magnifications.

Also, keep in mind that those top models are much more expensive than the increase in image quality would suggest. The last few percentages of quality cost probably more than 50 or 60 percent of the final price. So you should be able to get a decent model for your budget, particularly as long as you stick to the 30 or 32 mm models.

Try to find a model that has decent close-focussing. It might not seem important for a safari. But you'll likely not only use your binoculars for big game. Some reptiles, flowers or insects might be of interest at some point. And a model that has a minimum focus distance of 5 meters or more is all too often a bother in such situations. A minimum focus of 3 meters, or preferably closer, is much better. Particularly so when you will use your binoculars later on, after the safari is over.

A final point is to try to get a waterproof model. That will also keep the dust out. Pretty much all the roof type models should fill that requirement. Porros (the one that are much wider on one side) would be more of a problem there.

Last edited:
I would suggest getting the best quality optics that you can "reasonably" afford.
If possible, go to a store that has many different brands/models *and see which one you like.
For open plains I would probably want 10x42s.

That said, the trip is for a limited time and I would want something that I would use afterwords.

edj

*brand/model is a personal preference and what I, or others, would like may not be what you would like.

To better answer your specific question, assuming money is available:

I would get the zeiss SF 10x42
-this is the newest, and presumably best available
-10x for more distance viewing
-42mm for better low light viewing AM and PM
-zeiss is a name I trust
-this compliments my other optics
-considering time and cost for trip, I would want the best

If $3000US not available, or unwilling to spend
-I would get a higher end demo from company with good standing
or visit the local store like you are planing to do and get the best available

but what works for me may not for you

edj

Last edited:
I have been to Africa 4 times. I took a Cabelas Euro 8x32 HD twice, a Gold Ring 8x32 HD once, and a Tract Toric 8x42 the last time. They are all great, but the Toric is by far the best of this lot.

I have been to Africa 4 times. I took a Cabelas Euro 8x32 HD twice, a Gold Ring 8x32 HD once, and a Tract Toric 8x42 the last time. They are all great, but the Toric is by far the best of this lot.

JG

Unfortunately, although they could be ordered via the internet, none of those are available in stores to try over here apart from the Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 which over here is known by its original name of Meopta B1 MeoStar 8x32 and which is a great little optic.

Lee

JG

Unfortunately, although they could be ordered via the internet, none of those are available in stores to try over here apart from the Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 which over here is known by its original name of Meopta B1 MeoStar 8x32 and which is a great little optic.

Lee

Lee,

The Cabelas Euro HD 8x33 has an ED element and the Meostar 8x32 does not. It's still a nice little binoclar though.

David

There is always some tendency for the suggestion to the beginner to go expensive first. I am not a subscriber to that approach. While a costly model may ultimately prove the best thing to wind up with, you have a better chance to do that right if you get a good far less expensive model first.

In this instance I would suggest you go with a Nikon Monarch 7 in 8x30. It is small, not too big, not too small and not overly expensive. It has more than adequate optics to suit the stated purpose. Use your experience with this glass to decide if you need something different. If you reach that decision, you will have a better base of personal knowledge to base your future choices on.

Of those on your list the Minox 8x33 is a similar quality glass to the Nikon, or the already mentioned Leupold Mojave. That is one you can evidently try for yourself.

Last edited:
If the price is a problem, I would suggest the Bynolyt Traveller 8x34 with open bridge for around 170 euros. Excellent handling comfort and optical quality sufficient.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back