• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Island and Killdeer Plains (1 Viewer)

grackle121

On September 1, I will be moving into my dorm room, effectively meaning that I will be living in Athens, OH. for a while. So today, I decided to treat myself to one last birding trip before going away to college. I decided that I should revisit the site of my first major birding trip, in March: Big Island Wildlife Area and Killdeer Plains, both in the general vicinity of Marion, OH.

Great Blue Heron
Pied-billed Grebe
Mourning Dove
Song Sparrow
Horned Lark (life bird!)
European Starling
Downy Woodpecker
Killdeer (just like last time, the first bird I encountered, standing right there in the parking lot waiting for me)
American Goldfinch
Red-winged Blackbird
Solitary Sandpiper
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Common Crow
Green Heron
Blue-winged Teal
Rock Dove
Wood Duck
Barn Swallow
American Robin
Northern Cardinal
Red-tailed Hawk
Northern Flicker
Turkey Vulture
Great Egret (first time I've seen them in Ohio)
Eastern Meadowlark
Cedar Waxwing
Common Moorhen (I was unaware that they nested in Ohio, as the large number of small ones (they seemed a bit old to be chicks) would indicate)
Tundra Swan
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Lesser Yellowlegs (life bird!)
Pectoral Sandpiper ('nother life bird!)
Double-crested Cormorant
American Kestrel
Eastern Phoebe
Canada Goose
Belted Kingfisher
Eastern Kingbird
House Sparrow

As of this day, my personal daily best has been set to 40, and August has officially passed July as my best month this year (in terms of overall species seen).

grackle121 said:
On September 1, I will be moving into my dorm room, effectively meaning that I will be living in Athens, OH. for a while. So today, I decided to treat myself to one last birding trip before going away to college. I decided that I should revisit the site of my first major birding trip, in March: Big Island Wildlife Area and Killdeer Plains, both in the general vicinity of Marion, OH.

Great Blue Heron
Pied-billed Grebe
Mourning Dove
Song Sparrow
Horned Lark (life bird!)
European Starling
Downy Woodpecker
Killdeer (just like last time, the first bird I encountered, standing right there in the parking lot waiting for me)
American Goldfinch
Red-winged Blackbird
Solitary Sandpiper
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Common Crow
Green Heron
Blue-winged Teal
Rock Dove
Wood Duck
Barn Swallow
American Robin
Northern Cardinal
Red-tailed Hawk
Northern Flicker
Turkey Vulture
Great Egret (first time I've seen them in Ohio)
Eastern Meadowlark
Cedar Waxwing
Common Moorhen (I was unaware that they nested in Ohio, as the large number of small ones (they seemed a bit old to be chicks) would indicate)
Tundra Swan
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Lesser Yellowlegs (life bird!)
Pectoral Sandpiper ('nother life bird!)
Double-crested Cormorant
American Kestrel
Eastern Phoebe
Canada Goose
Belted Kingfisher
Eastern Kingbird
House Sparrow

As of this day, my personal daily best has been set to 40, and August has officially passed July as my best month this year (in terms of overall species seen).

My college is just a mile away from one of the best "city" nature centers in our state. Have you found a spot to bird at college yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back