• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PF65EDAII - Is anyone getting great views at plus 35x?? (1 Viewer)

Pentax adapter will be available soon. I use the XW & XF eyepieces when digiscoping. I didn't want the style of adapter you have, thought about rail style Nikon, Alpen etc... Those looked more promising? I have been hand holding my Pentax optio A-30 up to eyepiece, have gotten good results but, alot of trial and error! The Pentax will adjust to both style of Pentax ep's as well as other ep's. Plus it is light weight and the scope will be supported by tripod instead of rail, ( more stable ) ... I have the older style not version II and while at extreme distances it doesn't have as much resolution as my 80mm scope I have no problem with powers over 35x. For higher power I use XW 7, 50+ and while it takes good Atmospheric conditions to use it,it resolves much better and is brighter than the XF zoom.

Hmm, interesting comments on the new 65 ED II model. Tero, you do not seem to find anything objectionable with the image and yet it seems others are finding issues. Was their redesign a failure to some extent or are we seeing sample variation here?

I have an XW 10 eyepiece coming today to try with my 65 ED. If I get a chance to digiscope with it later then I will post some of the pics.

Frank, I decided against the XF zoom, otherwise I have no real insights into any problems here. I only go to 49x with my Vixen zoom. My 12mm is a Pentax XF.

CA is not a problem when using the scope, but for digiscoping there is some CA, depending on eye piece.

CA is not a problem when using the scope, but for digiscoping there is some CA, depending on eye piece.

I have found that my digital camera is the limiting factor with CA and my Pentax. The image looks CA free with the naked eye but as soon as I put the camera up and take a few pics I see noticeably more. The camera seems to be the culprit.

I am contemplating either the Vixen zoom or possibly picking up a 6 or 7 mm fixed eyepiece as the final "piece" in my eyepiece selection. At the moment I have both the XW 10 and 20 along with a 25 Meade (plossl?), MA 9 mm and 4 mm OR and 9, 15 and 20 Knight Owls EWAs. Some were "leftovers" from my amateur astronomy years but most I bought specifically for use with the Pentax. Any thoughts or suggestions along either route?

I have found the XW 14 to give me the best results when digiscoping. Very good up close to medium distances. I have found that my point and shoot Pentax optio A-30 is a great combo with this scope. Pictures are sharper and color is excellent. I have used Kodak, Panasonic and Fuji cameras with this scope, had O.K. results. I dont have an SLR and have not tried one with this scope, don't have desire at this time to get or use one! For longer shots the XW 10 is just a little less sharp, color saturation looks the same. I think once I have an adapter longer distance shot's will be a little sharper? I haven't had good results above 39x?

stereo, I think the SLR will be worse, as the lens diameter gets too big. The pocket or slightly bigger cameras are the best match.

Have not gotten outdoors with my 12mm lens yet. It has been awful weather.

Tero, one would have to fork out $ 300 or more on Pentax adapter in order to use slr I believe? And I think that would ultimitly limit ones max power with the PF-65 to 15x I think, dont know that much about it! You should get good results with you're XF 12, don't know what type of camera you are using? But, that is a great EP!

So... Tero and/or Stereo: Am I hearing that there might be a significant difference between low cost cameras and digiscoping results?

I'm asking because I put a fair amount of effort into building an adapter for my Pentax PF-80/XW eyepieces and Canon Powershot SD400. I have the Pentax XW 20, 14 and 10, but have never been able to get anything but so-so photo results with any of the eyepieces. I finally just assumed that the optics of budget priced digital cameras just weren't up to the task. Also, maybe I'm expecting too much. Thoughts?

Attachments

• camera adapter 2.JPG
    camera adapter 2.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 151
I would not give up, looks pretty stable. Show it to someone else locally who does digiscoping. Camera should be OK, but focusing may be an issue. Not the easiest thing to use manual focus, though.

Also, backlighting messes up photos. Try taking pictures at noon.

I to got so, so results from other camera's? The Pentax Optio A-30 that I use now produces alot better result's? With my PF 65 I get alot better pic's when I use 30x or less on scope and about 1.5 to 2.0 optical zoom on camera. I'am still hand holding my camera!!! I try not to use camera zoom but, just enough to reduce vignetting then use the scopes power? I think once I have an adapter thats suits my need's I will get better results at higher mag's... You're adapter looks great! I think you're weak link could be the camera? Just from my prior experience with other cameras! The XW's and that scope should produce fairly good sharp ,color saturated pics in my opinion. And that is not saying I have a better camera with my Pentax than you're Canon because I don't believe that!

Tried some digiscoping with the Vortex adapter and Nikon Coolpix L11. Goldeneyes fairly close, some 16-20x on the Vixen zoom, and a distant Bald Eagle with more zoom. The Coolpix did not focus very well on the eagle, it was quite clear in the scope to the eye, but dark due to backlight. The attachmnet with the VOrtex is not all that sturdy. And the zoom has to be set before, you can't zoom after the camera is on. My tripod, Manfrotto!, was less than ideal. The scope alone is fine, this throws balance out of whack.

I now found out that my Nikon Coolpix has the CA all by itself. So it was not the problem of the Pentax scope alone, or perhaps not at all. Click the arrow to see the pictures in the earlier post.

Well Tero, as you advised, I didn't give up. Maybe there is hope for the Canon SD400 afterall. This was taken with the PF-80 and the Pentax XW14 eyepiece. Other than that, I really don't remember much other than I made it a point to cover the back of the camera. I also had plenty of time to "pre-focus" the scope before attaching the adapter/camera. Don't know if that made a difference though.

Attachments

• Bald Eagles Klamath 1200.jpg
    Bald Eagles Klamath 1200.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 155
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back