• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 10X32 T* FL - Lotutec Coating? (1 Viewer)

I today purchased my dream binoculars - the Zeiss 10X32 T* FL. The price was very good. How can I tell if these bins are Lotutec coated? The serial number is 3087765. Thank you very much and best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.

Being the practical guy, I'd splash water on the lens and see if they do what the Lotutec-hype says they should. There can only be three outcomes and two of those are "bad."

enjoy the toy!
Rick

Last edited:
WYSHTR,

I've had bins with no water repellent coatings, and water still rolled off them, they are made of glass, after all.

No, if the true litmus test is to be applied, do the following:

Run on your tread mill for 20 minutes and get really good and sweaty (I'd recommend you run 20 minutes outside, but I see its only 14*F in Riverton, which is nearby you, with a windchill of 4* F) so you'd probably freeze your windpipe.

Wait! Before you start running, put some sunscreen on your face particularly just below your eyes, and when you've finished "running" and are really sweaty, take off your shirt and squeeze it out on the eye lenses.

Then push the eyecups all the way down and get your eyes as close as you can and see if you can get your eyelashes to touch the lenses and while you're at it, rub your sunscreen covered cheeks on them too.

After that, take your sweaty thumbs and squish them on both objectives.

Zeiss says that LotuTec lenses are:

Repels oils from eyelashes or salts from sweat, even sunscreen and fingerprints.

If your lenses are LotuTec coated, they should be clean as a unblown whistle, but maybe a little smelly.

If you are still not sure, get a Brillo pad and rub it over the lenses.

Zeiss says that: In addition, the LotuTecTM coating is extremely durable and resistant to abrasion.

So Brillo away!

OTOH, if after all that, the lenses are wet, oily, fingerprinted, and scratched, well, you better get yourself a LotuTecTM coated pair! :)

Let us know how you make out.

Original source:
http://www.cameratown.com/news/news.cfm/hurl/id|3442

It's easy. When viewed from the side, if the sides of the eyecups are rounded, the optics have the Lotu-Tec coating, not so if they are straight. Also, in the hinge area, a small arc over the 10x32 T* FL also denotes Lotu-Tec.

I own the 10x32 and love them.

Mr. Brocknroller - It's actually + 4 farenheit here at Lander, WY this morning. I take some masochistic pleasure in the 27 degree warm up from ten days ago. I'll "see" how the 10X32s perform outside later this morning.

Mr. Capemay - I'll take a close look at the eyecups and the markings. Thanks for the tip.

At $1341 - $250 rebate = $1091, I think the price was right - Lotutec or no. The sales clerk even threw in a cool guy Zeiss cap. :t:

Best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.

Hi ELN,
4 degrees Farenheit Huh?

Tell us please! Does Lotutec keep ice from forming on the objectives?

Bob

I don't know, yet. I just put them in my "Badlands Vault Bino System":
http://www.sagecreekoutfitters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P7002&Category_Code=BDLDS. I've used the Badlands Vault for several months now. It does a great job keeping dirt, snow, etc. away from my bins while keeping them readily accessible. Stand by for a more better field test. Best regards, ELN.

I don't know, yet. I just put them in my "Badlands Vault Bino System":
http://www.sagecreekoutfitters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P7002&Category_Code=BDLDS. I've used the Badlands Vault for several months now. It does a great job keeping dirt, snow, etc. away from my bins while keeping them readily accessible. Stand by for a more better field test. Best regards, ELN.

ELN,

I like the Badlands binoharness, particularly since all my bins now are non-WP porros, I could use the extra protection.

This is the HD binoharness I had planned on ordering (girl not included):

http://cameralandny1.reachlocal.net/opticaccessories/promaster.pl?page=trekkingsafaristrap

With the low temps you're having, you won't need to do a "dunk and freeze" test in your refrigerator.

You can just dunk the FLs in the sink for 5 minutes and stick them out on your porch overnight and then Brillo the ice off in the morning. :)

RBP

I got outside with the new bins for the first time this afternoon. They are clearly (pun intended), the best binoculars I've had the pleasure to use. I was able to discern some terrain detail on the peaks of the Wind River Range that I had never seen with my other binoculars. Although I hadn't anticipated it, the weight difference between the Victory 10X32s and my Conquest 10X42s was noticeable on my walk. The 10X32s carry very easily in the Badlands vault. Nothing satisfies like quality. Best regards, ELN.

Wyoming shooter - Capeway is correct. The small arc over the 10x32 indicates it has the Lotu Tec coating. There is Zeiss literature that mentions that. John

I got outside with the new bins for the first time this afternoon. They are clearly (pun intended), the best binoculars I've had the pleasure to use. I was able to discern some terrain detail on the peaks of the Wind River Range that I had never seen with my other binoculars. Although I hadn't anticipated it, the weight difference between the Victory 10X32s and my Conquest 10X42s was noticeable on my walk. The 10X32s carry very easily in the Badlands vault. Nothing satisfies like quality. Best regards, ELN.

Thanks for that update, ELN, and for the sales motto that I just copyrighted!

"Nothing satisfies like quality."
© 2009, Brocknroller Communications

Excuse me, I've got a marketing rep from Zeiss on one line and Zales Diamonds on the other...

Thanks for that update, ELN, and for the sales motto that I just copyrighted!

"Nothing satisfies like quality."
© 2009, Brocknroller Communications

Excuse me, I've got a marketing rep from Zeiss on one line and Zales Diamonds on the other...

I'd be proud to contribute to Zeiss' success. Please ask them to send me a small token of appreciation. I'm sure I can think of something..:t:

Hi Wyoming Shooter
I brought a pair of 8x32 FL in April and have used them every day.
Best bins I have every used, hope you have as much pleasure from yours

All the best Nigel

I'm, gonna Rain-X my carnoculars the ol'e 10x42 Nikon Monarchs. How badly could the outcome be? I bet it works. Although I wouldn't dare try it on any of my better pairs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back