• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please educate a newb (1 Viewer)

stan75

Hello.

I just got my first pair of binoculars (8x32) and would like to ask a few questions. Please forgive me if I am confusing terminology.

I read about eye relief and adjustable eye cups so I figured there will be 2 positions to accommodate users with glasses. My binoculars have 4 let's call them fully extended (4) to fully collapsed (0). Since I don't need glasses, I tried using them at 4 (max relief). It seemed OK, but I think my FOV looked wider when I use them with a slightly shorter relief at position 3.

1. Please explain what these intermediate positions are for. Is there anything wrong with my vision that I don't see the best picture with fully extended eye cups (I think I have close to 20/20). I think the eye relief at position 4 is a pretty good for an 8x32 (16mm). However, since I am not taking a full advantage of it right now and seem to prefer position 3, does it mean that in the future if I need glasses, I won't have enough relief at position 0.

2. I seem to get a better, more immersive view if I block my peripheral vision with my hands while holding the binoculars. Is this the proper technique? can I get some sort of rubber blinders for that

Thanks

Nothing wrong with your eyes. The variety of positions for the eyecups are not just to accomodate spectacle wearers, but also to cater to the different shape of eye socket - some people have recessed eye sockets, some don't. Some people like to jam the bins into their eyes, others like to rest them gently on the top of the eye socket.

I can't say how happy you'd be with these bins and glasses, but just because you are happier with 'position 3' doesn't mean they wouldn't be suitable for you with glasses at 'position 0'.

You can get winged eyecups for binoculars, but they are made in a variety of sizes, so make sure you get a pair that will fit your bins. The external diameter of the eyecup is the inportant measurement.

Regarding your question #2 you can also get the same effect if you wear a cap with a long bill and turn it's bill to the side where the sun is shining. This will eliminate glare from back and side lighting.

And since this was your first post here: Welcome to Bird Forum!

Bob:hi:

Weekend Birder summed it up perfectly.

I wear glasses and some bins work for me with the cups in Position 0 but my current main bins have the eyecups between 0 and 1 where there isn't actually a click-stop at all.

With a different pair of glasses my preference may change.

Lee

Regarding your question #2 you can also get the same effect if you wear a cap with a long bill and turn it's bill to the side where the sun is shining. This will eliminate glare from back and side lighting...

I also recommend a cap. I use one with a circular brim so I don't have to fiddle with turning the bill one way or the other.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back