• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Wales & counties (1 Viewer)

Nick Smith

Member of the Staffordshire Bird Club
Can anyone tell me where Denbighshire finishes and Caernarfonshire starts along the north welsh coast. For example, which recording area is Llandudno (Caer?), Little Orme (Caer?), Conwy RSPB (joint?), Pensarn (Den?), Point of Ayr (Flints)? Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks, Nick Smith

Hi Nick

Caernarfonshire doesn't exist anymore as a county and hasn't done since the local authority reorganisation in the early-to-mid 1970s. It is today part of Gwynedd with the old county of Meirionedd.

Denbighshire does exist, but today's unitary authority does not equate to the pre-1974 county to which I think you refer. Denbighshire and what was Caernarfonshire do not border each other apart from a few-miles stretch way inland - the authority of Conwy is placed between Caernarfonshire/Gwynedd and Denbighshire.

Llandudno is in Conwy, as are Little Orme, and Pensarn. For pre-1974 counties, Llandudno was in Caernarfonshire, as was Little Orme. Pensarn was in the old Denbighshire. The old border between Denbighshire and Caernarfonshire ran from the east of Llandudno and followed the river Conwy south.

Point of Ayr is in Flintshire (both the modern unitary authority and the pre-1974 county).

Regards

Thanks. BBRC still use Caer & Den and both "counties" have county recorders. In my notes i still put Clwyd and Conwy and i now realised i'm prob the only one who still does!

Thanks. BBRC still use Caer & Den and both "counties" have county recorders.

After I posted I did wonder if that was the case. Do you bird the area often then? The local county recorders may be able to help. Or old Ordance Survey maps could help - loads available on eBay for a couple of quid or so, depending on their condition - they will have county borders on them.

Just odd trips now and then. It was the Black Kite in Powys or Radnorshire that started my queries!

Just odd trips now and then. It was the Black Kite in Powys or Radnorshire that started my queries!

Technically it could be either depending on whether or not you use the new or old county boundaries.

The old county system for my area was a bit weird. The old vice county (i.e. pre 1974) of Cheshire is very different to the "Cheshire and Wirral" of today.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back