• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What would worlds best binoculars be? (1 Viewer)

My only experience with Zeiss US service was about 18 months ago and entirely satisfactory. They did an excellent job refurbishing my 8x30 Classic at no charge other than postage.

in europe they do everthing very good for the german market also but for the rest of europe very bad .

The new Lieca Geovids with Perger prisms are available already for some time. The design looks very much like the Bush Terlux binoculars from 1906, so I am curious whether Perger was inspired by that design.
Gijs van Ginkel

in europe they do everthing very good for the german market also but for the rest of europe very bad .

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

My experience of support from Zeiss Sports Optics UK is absolutely first class in every way. Their service simply could not be better.

Lee

Hi,
I don't think 3 things is the way to go about this. Bin is a package of many things.

For me it would be a quality 7x36 roof.

Start with a frame like the 7x36 swift eaglet and give it optics comparable to the 8x32 conquest hd and keep the price to $900 or under and hold the weight to 20 oz. No need for the super wide field, 420 is plenty.

Well, thanks and hope to see a zeiss 7x3? Conquest hd someday.

CG

Last edited:
The new Lieca Geovids with Perger prisms are available already for some time. The design looks very much like the Bush Terlux binoculars from 1906, so I am curious whether Perger was inspired by that design.
Gijs van Ginkel

It comes to mind that the open bridge design of the Swarovski EL line has always reminded me to some very old Galilean binoculars such as Goerz Fernglas 08 which construction is dated from 1908: http://www.flickr.com/photos/binoculars/5393798608/ Also made as Dienstglas by Emil Busch, Rathenow.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve,
There are quite a few older binocular models with a kind of open bridge, apart from the 08 models from Goerz, Leica, Bush, Voigtländer, Zeiss etc., but the Perger design is something new and very nice to see and to use, just like the Bush Terlux and it may be possible that Perger was inspired by it, but I really do not know.
Gijs

• Image stabilisation
  • Variable magnification
Why not produce modular binoculars? E.g. with interchangeable eyepieces, prisms, additional macro lenses.

Not always the old stuff. Try something new and offer something the others don't have. More informations not offered for free. ;)

Steve

If you, as an experienced birder and observer of nature, could design the world's best birding and observation binocular, what are the top three features you would include?

• Brightness?
    Resolution (detail)?
  • Vividness and color fidelity?
  • Field of view?
  • Eye-relief (viewing comfort)?
  • Close focus?
  • Ease, speed, and smoothness of focus?
  • Handling (closed hinge or open, finger placement, grip, etc.)?
  • Weight?
  • Something we have not thought of at all?
Feel free to offer comparisons to the HT (or other current top binoculars) to clarify how the best birding and observation binocular, for you, would perform, look, and feel? If you can tell us why you make the choices you do...that would be even better! Go ahead. Dream a little...and share your dream. At ZEISS, we want to make even your dreams visible. " :t:

We appreciate and will evaluate your input.

Mike Jensen
President
Carl Zeiss Sports Optics, LLC - USA

• Image stabilisation
  • Variable magnification
    Why not produce modular binoculars? E.g. with interchangeable eyepieces, prisms, additional macro lenses.

Not always the old stuff.Steve

• Agree entirely.
    There is too little advantage to be gained from a bit more brightness, resolution or color fidelity. The effort must be reoriented if market moving results are desired.
    Ideally, Zeiss would piggyback on the astonishing progress made in camera optics (50x image stabilized zoom in a $400 package) to offer something comparable in binoculars. Adding an image capture feature as well would be nice.
    More conventionally, the market drivers today are ease of use and convenience. That implies small, durable/reliable and comfortable to look through. So 35mm max, always waterproof/rubber armored with quick and easy focus and substantial eye relief.
    The aim should be to recreate the easy view of a Zeiss 8x60 in a compact and robust package.

Agree entirely.
There is too little advantage to be gained from a bit more brightness, resolution or color fidelity. The effort must be reoriented if market moving results are desired.
Ideally, Zeiss would piggyback on the astonishing progress made in camera optics (50x image stabilized zoom in a $400 package) to offer something comparable in binoculars. Adding an image capture feature as well would be nice.
More conventionally, the market drivers today are ease of use and convenience. That implies small, durable/reliable and comfortable to look through. So 35mm max, always waterproof/rubber armored with quick and easy focus and substantial eye relief.
The aim should be to recreate the easy view of a Zeiss 8x60 in a compact and robust package.

Its a Sony! The upcoming generation of digital binoculars will have precisely these features, yet they may not be made by Zeiss, but rather by Sony, Panasonic, Samsong ...

Cheers,
Holger

Its a Sony! The upcoming generation of digital binoculars will have precisely these features, yet they may not be made by Zeiss, but rather by Sony, Panasonic, Samsong ...

Cheers,
Holger

Indeed!

In the future people will view the world through the eyepieces of digital machinery which will interpret for them that which their eyes cannot do.

Call it the ultimate triumph of the digital camera's eyepiece!

Birders will purchase the latest manifestations of them and argue about which is best much as they do now with the analog instruments they use. Certain brands will be deemed superior especially if they are European made and people will carry them as symbols of status much as they do today.

They will argue about which of them interprets the colors of the birds most accurately and enables one to see the greatest amount of detail in the widest field of the electronic view.

They will look down on the poor humans who insist on using their own paltry eyes assisted by mechanical analog devices to engage in the recreation of Birding.

Ah! Progress advances! March bravely into the future!:t:

Bob

We live in an analog universe.

Indeed!

In the future people will view the world through the eyepieces of digital machinery which will interpret for them that which their eyes cannot do.

Call it the ultimate triumph of the digital camera's eyepiece!

Birders will purchase the latest manifestations of them and argue about which is best much as they do now with the analog instruments they use. Certain brands will be deemed superior especially if they are European made and people will carry them as symbols of status much as they do today.

They will argue about which of them interprets the colors of the birds most accurately and enables one to see the greatest amount of detail in the widest field of the electronic view.

They will look down on the poor humans who insist on using their own paltry eyes assisted by mechanical analog devices to engage in the recreation of Birding.

Ah! Progress advances! March bravely into the future!:t:

Bob

We live in an analog universe.

Digital jiggerypoo© ?? ..... "carry them" !?? ...... "digital camera's eyepiece!" ?????

Oh, ....... you must be talking about the "olden days" in the future, which preceded micro film intraocular lens implants ..... which of course were pretty old hat when compared to the "elegance" of the genetically engineered nanofilm cell matrix exclusively licensed by the OMG corporation to the elite (of course by that stage, you could only ever rent your "physical vessel" anyway, on an ongoing subscriber basis ......)

There were a few of course (notably the DDART's - Digital Denier Analogue Recalcitrants Tribe) that roamed the wildlands, happily observing with their Mark_I eyeballs and a 'type' of nanotube carbon fibre magnesium metal matrix honeycomb sandwich, porro prism, replete with seal healing multi density armouring (leather for the German market). Strangely not much was ever heard of them again on the forums, especially once the cermet focuser redesign hit the 'blackmarket' ..... seemed they were too busy enjoying themselves ! |:d|

Chosun :gh:

Agree entirely.

Thanks etudiant. That's a perfect complement.

BTW, the Sony digital binoculars seem to be non-starters so far. Nobody seems to use or even sell them over here. I wonder how many people at Sony Europe do even know about their own product. Perhaps the situation is different at their home market, in Japan or in the US?

Steve

BTW, the Sony digital binoculars seem to be non-starters so far. Nobody seems to use or even sell them over here. I wonder how many people at Sony Europe do even know about their own product. Perhaps the situation is different at their home market, in Japan or in the US?

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Clearly these are no alternative for birders (yet), but they may already be an interesting gadget for some people (3D videorecorder...) A while ago I saw the first incarnation of the Sony digibin in a big retailer (Media Markt). That we don't hear anything about them here, does not necessarly mean that nobody is buying them... Anyway, it's just the second generation, so naturally it will take more time and development before people really take it up. And keen birders with their high demands on optical quality will probably be among the last to switch to digital.

Perhaps this perspective of digital binoculars coming up soon is the reason why no one invests in image stabilisation for conventional binoculars. Why investing in something which will be obsolete in a decade...

Last edited:
Digital jiggerypoo© ?? ..... "carry them" !?? ...... "digital camera's eyepiece!" ?????

Oh, ....... you must be talking about the "olden days" in the future, which preceded micro film intraocular lens implants ..... which of course were pretty old hat when compared to the "elegance" of the genetically engineered nanofilm cell matrix exclusively licensed by the OMG corporation to the elite (of course by that stage, you could only ever rent your "physical vessel" anyway, on an ongoing subscriber basis ......)

There were a few of course (notably the DDART's - Digital Denier Analogue Recalcitrants Tribe) that roamed the wildlands, happily observing with their Mark_I eyeballs and a 'type' of nanotube carbon fibre magnesium metal matrix honeycomb sandwich, porro prism, replete with seal healing multi density armouring (leather for the German market). Strangely not much was ever heard of them again on the forums, especially once the cermet focuser redesign hit the 'blackmarket' ..... seemed they were too busy enjoying themselves ! |:d|

Chosun :gh:

"Digital Camera's Eyepiece????//" That's the doohicky that used to be called a "viewfinder" in the old days when it was optical. Now it is the thing on the digital camera you put up to your eyes to take a picture of a bird just before you say to yourself, "What the Hell? Is that what I thought I was seeing?" right before you click the electric button (formerly a shutter) and mutter "Good luck on this one!"3:)

As for the rest of your post I will forward it to my son who is finishing up his PhD in Physics; with interests in Metamaterials, Terahertz Time-Domain Spectroscopy and Ultrafast Optics.

I don't know what he is talking about either.

Bob

Last edited:
Of course the face recognition in the seventh generation digital binoculars will tell you exactly which bird you are looking at.
Maybe you won't actually have to look at it and it will be transmitted by Wi-Fi straight to your brain.
And the dual slots in your head for the Micro microSD cards will record the stereo images amongst the whole year's images stored on the cards for future use.

Just to bring the thread back from science fiction into binoculars of now and the near future.

Perhaps this perspective of digital binoculars coming up soon is the reason why no one invests in image stabilisation for conventional binoculars. Why investing in something which will be obsolete in a decade...

By this argument, investing in conventional binoculars without image stabilization should also be considered obsolete. On the digital binoculars on the other hand, there was a recent thread discussing the requirements for an electronic viewfinder that would, to the eye viewing it through an eyepiece, appear as sharp and vivid as do the best optical instruments we now have. The jump needed in technology was not a trivial one, although I have no doubt their time will come, hopefully within my lifetime.

While we are waiting, I would very much like to have my next generation optical IS binocular made to be the present state of the art. I don't much care who makes it, but because Canon has essentially been left alone to play in that field, their product update cycles and willingness to iron out the few quirks in their designs have been disappointing.

Kimmo

By this argument, investing in conventional binoculars without image stabilization should also be considered obsolete.

Isn't it a common complaint here that there is not much left to innovate in conventional binoculars, that we only see incremental improvements. Field flattener, open bridge, a new glass that pushes transmissions another few %, nothing of the recent innovation was groundbreaking and most of it wasn't really new either.

I have not much clue about IS technology, but I assume to really bring that to a new level in binoculars, bigger investments in development needs to be done than is done today for achieving these tiny improvements we see in new products.

Just speculating of course...

Just to bring the thread back from science fiction into binoculars of now and the near future.

Kimmo

Amen to that!
The key imho is that 50x zoom and stabilization is commercially available today at $400, less than a third the price of alphas. That surely opens new doors for binocular market development and research types.

The human pupil is about the same size as the sensor on the Canon SX50, so presumably a mere 10x zoom binocular going from 2x, for wide area surveillance to a stabilized 20x for detailed observation should be well within the state of the art.

Even if the industry cannot get comfortable with the electronic/digital encroachment, it will have to work on much more sophisticated optics. Wide angle and good eye relief are possible, but require more than incremental change. Al Nagler revolutionized amateur astronomy eye pieces and revitalized the sector. Binocular makers are still searching for his counterpart.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back