• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malta Defies EU on Spring Hunting Issue (1 Viewer)

valley boy said:
Just boot the tossers out of the EU as its quite obvious they aren't going to change their ways

Totally agree. Can't imagine what they have that we want anyway, so why let them into our club?

An air and sea blockade by armed forces should bring them to their knees soon enough - it nearly did in 1942 and our cause is much better! Time these eco-terrorists were stamped out.

John

valley boy said:
Just boot the tossers out of the EU as its quite obvious they aren't going to change their ways

any chance of proper economic presure from the EU. Santions against there tourist industry perhaps. Or am i whistling in the wind.

As this was going on when they joined the EU i cant understand why proper pressure hasn't already been applied. However as with most things the political will needs to be there

From the artical
Malta is the only EU country which permits spring hunting for two bird species, as the government applies a derogation as permitted under Article 9 of the Birds Directive. Every year, however, Malta has to justify the derogation, which is allowed only if it is proven that there is no other alternative.

Being a newbie .. I googled this and first it seems they do not hunt two species. song birds through to birds of prey are happily shot. :-C

and how do they justify the derogation, ????

Why do they shoot the birds ...?

valley boy said:

Well said Valley Boy and while we are at it,lets boycot the Island as a holiday destination.

Hi Folks,

You all know how I feel about the slaughter of our birds by the Maltese, throwing them out of the European Union would cost more birds' lives not less. Whilst a member of our "club" as John put it they have to obey the rules like everyone else. Unfortunately things move too slowly the case against Malta infringing the law in 2004 has not yet come before the European Court of Justice, apparently each year has to be dealt with in turn.

Malta keeps saying they are acting within the E U Bird Directive and a report is being prepared to that effect. The report was supposed to have been submitted last September but it still has not been written, I am sure it is being used as a delaying tactic, they think the Commission will wait for it before taking further action. Sorry I don't know how else to put that but so far it seems to be working.

Please write to your MEP's, as you will see the Green Party in particular are doing their bit to keep pressure on the Commission. Ms Lambert Green MEP for London has already tabled a motion regarding this matter and as she says "It really is important that MEPs are lobbied so that they are fully aware of their constituents' concerns. "

Ann :storm:

I agree with Ann, just chucking the bastards out of the EU would make the situation far worse and would give them carte blanche to kill even more birds and do as they like. What the EU needs to do is get it's finger out of it's collective arse and hit Malta hard with sanctions.

Vectis Birder said:
I agree with Ann, just chucking the bastards out of the EU would make the situation far worse and would give them carte blanche to kill even more birds and do as they like. What the EU needs to do is get it's finger out of it's collective arse and hit Malta hard with sanctions.
Well if they are not going to obey EU law its time that the EU stopped pissing about and got to grips with a problem that the vast majority of EU subjects wants resolved. If not there is no point in the Eu- its just a toothless talking shop then in reality

Scottish MEP's have voiced their concerns about the "Scottish environment", as we know Scotland has a population of Ospreys of which they are rightly proud and they are at risk twice a year on migration, they are doing everything they can.

I have given below details of an article from the Malta Media, the finch trappers are now asking why dates were not discussed for the trapping to begin. Ornis are to schedule another meeting soon.

http://www.maltamedia.com/artman2/publish/local/article_837.shtml

I just don't know what to write but feel we are going backwards in time to the Dark Ages when barbarism was practised. We are living supposedly in a modern technological age of the 21st century yet full grown men still want to catch small birds to put in cages for their pleasure why, is it the only way they can prove their manhood to capture finches and blast everything else that flies out of the sky.

A CHAPLIN said:
Scottish MEP's have voiced their concerns about the "Scottish environment", as we know Scotland has a population of Ospreys of which they are rightly proud and they are at risk twice a year on migration, they are doing everything they can.

We have the same trouble here in Wales with regards to Honeys, most years established birds fail to return. As these birds are quite long lived you have to assume that some b@stard has taken it upon themselves to end their existence prematurely. As Honey Buzzards come in a variety of different plumages i bet the Maltesers aren't just satisfied with one stuffed in their cabinets. Just makes all the hard work that enthuisiasts across Europe carry out in protecting these and other species during their breeding cycle seem worthless, as they then have to run the gauntlet of the Macho Maltese and their guns. If they like shooting that much why dont they volunteer for Afghanistan.................. Oops silly me , theres a chance they might get shot back at there

A CHAPLIN said:
The Ornis Committee met yesterday Monday 26 February to announce the dates for the spring hunting and trapping season. The article can be read at:-

www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=253434

I have received a copy of an email from one of the Green MEP's for London confirming that they are protesting strongly to the EU Commission .

What did everyone expect, you didn't really think that these gun toting cowboys would comply did you. It's only the UK that complies with EU rules, all the rest break them as it suits!! Look at France as one example, they just please themselves, they put forward their ideas for new rules to Brussels, Germany backs them, Brussels then legislates for them and only the UK complies with them ??

nirofo.

Hi Nirofo,

No I didn't think they would comply easily, but that doesn't make it right. Get writing to your MEP's, the Scottish ones are now fighting too they know birds are boosting tourism and thus the economy in Scotland. Don't you care that birds are being slaughtered daily? A bird is killed in the UK and there is an outcry. I am sure if idiots here started blasting away at everything that flew we would be doing something, or would you just let it happen? Sorry I am not good with words and the EU have said it has got to stop, only they are slow in taking action, other things are higher on their agendas. Probably handouts so people don't need work, more to fill their time with their "hobby" which might even get to here.

All my life I have sat back (with everything) and said "I can't do anything". I care about birds and with many others round the world who are not BF members are atl least trying to stop the slaughter. Doing nothing is costing more lives, do you not care if all the Ospreys are killed on migration?

Everybody is incensed about the hunting of Dolphins and Whales rightly so, will the Japanese stop? not if they have their way they think differently to us, sorry I don't know how else to put that.

If things hadn't changed we would still be back in the dark ages too, no cars, no media to tell us what is happening, should we just sit back and watch it all. Sorry Nirofo I can't, we all take freedom for granted, birds/animals do not have the choice it seems people think they do not matter, I do. Sit back and watch it happen, you become one of them.

We have laws and courts and they should be used, or should we all just "do our own thing" and to hell with the consequences as long as we are enjoying ourselves and don't get caught.

If you care about birds please help to protect them, not let them be destroyed in their thousands.

Ann :storm: :-C :flyaway: :egghead:

Don't despair too much Ann. I mean it wasn't too long ago the whole of the med engaged in similar activities. As long as pressure is kept being applied they will crack eventually.

If they want to be part of Europe they should act more civilised manner. You would think that the pressure of bigger European countries should have more of an affect. Its not as if it's asking too much that will affect its economy etc,, just put your guns down

A CHAPLIN said:
Hi Nirofo,

No I didn't think they would comply easily, but that doesn't make it right. Get writing to your MEP's, the Scottish ones are now fighting too they know birds are boosting tourism and thus the economy in Scotland. Don't you care that birds are being slaughtered daily? A bird is killed in the UK and there is an outcry. I am sure if idiots here started blasting away at everything that flew we would be doing something, or would you just let it happen? Sorry I am not good with words and the EU have said it has got to stop, only they are slow in taking action, other things are higher on their agendas. Probably handouts so people don't need work, more to fill their time with their "hobby" which might even get to here.

All my life I have sat back (with everything) and said "I can't do anything". I care about birds and with many others round the world who are not BF members are atl least trying to stop the slaughter. Doing nothing is costing more lives, do you not care if all the Ospreys are killed on migration?

Everybody is incensed about the hunting of Dolphins and Whales rightly so, will the Japanese stop? not if they have their way they think differently to us, sorry I don't know how else to put that.

If things hadn't changed we would still be back in the dark ages too, no cars, no media to tell us what is happening, should we just sit back and watch it all. Sorry Nirofo I can't, we all take freedom for granted, birds/animals do not have the choice it seems people think they do not matter, I do. Sit back and watch it happen, you become one of them.

We have laws and courts and they should be used, or should we all just "do our own thing" and to hell with the consequences as long as we are enjoying ourselves and don't get caught.

If you care about birds please help to protect them, not let them be destroyed in their thousands.

Ann :storm: :-C :flyaway: :egghead:

Well said Ann,i know you will keep trucking because it is so important.It is always easy to give in and the lady(YOU) is not for turning. :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Quote A Chaplin:

No I didn't think they would comply easily, but that doesn't make it right. Get writing to your MEP's, the Scottish ones are now fighting too they know birds are boosting tourism and thus the economy in Scotland. Don't you care that birds are being slaughtered daily? A bird is killed in the UK and there is an outcry. I am sure if idiots here started blasting away at everything that flew we would be doing something, or would you just let it happen?
Already wrote to my MP, completed many online petitions, (this forum and elsewhere), been involved in Schedule One Species protection in Scotland for more years than I care to remember and have reported many keepers and others for their continued persecution of Raptors. I care vehemently to the extent it has controlled my life for more than 45 years. Incidentally the steady march of the insidious windfarms will do more to destroy Scotlands Raptors, wild places and the tourist economy than the keepers and the shooting fraternity etc, ever could!

nirofo.

nirofo said:
Incidentally the steady march of the insidious windfarms will do more to destroy Scotlands Raptors, wild places and the tourist economy than the keepers and the shooting fraternity etc, ever could!

nirofo.

Well said Nirofo. I was wondering if anyone would see the selective conscience of the Scottish MEPs at work.
They take your breath away don't they!
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back