• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland Gull? (1 Viewer)

icansprint

I went out with a local birding group yesterday and we came across this gull. I think it's an Iceland but I'm not expert enough to know for sure. I want to post it to the gallery but would like to know the ID for sure first.

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• 418-DSC_1186IcelandGull.jpg
    418-DSC_1186IcelandGull.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 283
Sure is Iceland, and a very nice first-winter too!

Glaucous would have a much stouter bill, and with a sharp divide between the pink base and black tip, unlike the pink fading darker here.

Michael

Last edited:
Nice picture of a bird I would like to see again. I notice you are from Topsham in the US, Topsham down here is popular on the Exe Estuary and is a good birding spot. Is your Topsham noted for birds too?

Andrew,

Topsham is a little town across the river from Brunswick. Most of Maine is rural and costal or wild up north. I think we have our share of birds:)

Bill

I'm no expert - adults have grey (or gray for our cousins) primaries. Ist years are meant to be hard to tell apart but as they age they show darker markings on the primaries and sometimes a tail band.

I believe that there are pale and dark forms which reflect the degree of variation.

It may just be the angle of the photograph but the primaries appear to show some "coffee" pigmentation as opposed to the purer white of Iceland.

I hope that I'm not just confusing the issue!!

Last edited:
Hi Rob,
On range alone,it should prove to be a 'Kumlien's',but obviously one on the Iceland Gull end of the spectrum.
Certainly see where you're coming from with the slight brownish wash to the primaries and a faint tail band.
If,as now seems to be accepted,'Kumlien's' is merely a hybrid swarm between Thayer's and Iceland,then one could expect birds closely approaching either 'pure' taxon,as well as all manner of intermediates,which is the case!
Harry H

Evening Harry,

Thanks for the additional information.

I suspect you do a little better with "white-winged" gulls in Cork than we do here in Manchester!

Hi Rob,
Probably fare better than Manchester alright,but all large gulls have become much scarcer here of late,due to the changing management of municipal dumps and the declining fishing fleet.Have only seen 1 Iceland and 1 Glaucous in Co.Cork so far this winter!
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back