• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The all time most mystery bird (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Well it is IMHO

Taken by Gthang...in the US.

Thought it was worth bringing to everyones attention!

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 370
Its got hugely long undertail coverts... thrush-like body and legs, short-wings... and that head reminds me most of a Brown Shrike!

It looks like a finch beak, can't see if it is thick enough to be a female Pheucticus. Doesn't look to me to be Turdus, or Agelaius.

Rose-breasted Grosser would explain the supercilium.... but not the back end of the birds which really doesn't look finch-like

I think we do not see the whole tail, it is partly hidden by a leaf.

And with that beak I can only think of a rose breasted grosbeak as the most likely explanation though it does look strange

I have no clue what this is either
But when I put it through my copy of "Paintshop Pro WindUp 6.0" it starts to become slightly more recognisable?

Attachments

• string.jpg
    string.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 209
I'd have said a Purple Finch with its head tilted away so the bill looks thin because viewed mainly from below.

Dave

This isn't at all helpful, but I am certain its not a Grosbeak or a Purplefinch.... or for that matter any other finchy thing based on its leg length and general structure.... Doesn't look anyting like a Waterthrush either... it has to be an escape.. looks ever so Jungly... and I don't know where to start

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
I consider myself somewhat of a worldbirder, and no bird that is normally kept in captivity looks anything like it. Certainly not a Siberian Thrush, though it was a good guess. Siberian Thrush is rather distinctive with it's long bill (even more so than Turdus thrushes). As already mentioned, only thing it reminds me of is an Antthrush in the genus Chamaeza. Had I seen it in South America, I would have been 100% certain of it belonging to this group. This is not a genus kept in captivity, so, as I also mentioned in my previous thread, the likelihood of one turning up anywhere near NY is close to non-existant. It must be something juv. or in transition between two plumages. Regarding species...Hmm! I am leaning slightly toward that Waterthrush, though.

Tero said:
OK, I will appove Waterthrush, as it is not really a thrush. Color fits, general shape.

How does it get the black throat patch pale lores and horizontal barring though?

PS Rasmus... I didn't think it was Sibe Thrush... just the closest I came... Sibe thrush with a brown shrike's head transplanted perhaps....

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
How does it get the black throat patch pale lores and horizontal barring though?

PS Rasmus... I didn't think it was Sibe Thrush... just the closest I came... Sibe thrush with a brown shrike's head transplanted perhaps....

Jane,
I had considered Seiurus but had laid it aside just because of that strange horizontal barring and that throat patch. Rasmus mentions that we might be looking at a bird in the throes of juvenile to adult transition which could explain this, but then, I still haven't seen any pics of juvenile Seiurus like that.

I had also considered Zoothera, and even those that shouldn't be there, but the bill, from what I can see isn't right for that genus. This is one that in the end you can, at the most say, "probably Seiurus" and put it to rest.

Jane Turner said:

Erhm! A combination of leucistic & melanistic patches ;)

More seriously; perhaps just an aberrant individual. - Or what about a young individual? The thing that strikes me as wrong is the dark undertail coverts and head & upper chest pattern. Personally, I think jizz is fairly close, especially if considering the possibility of a juv. Would be nice to know if it was seen bobing it's tail or walking (not hopping).

Jane Turner said:
PS Rasmus... I didn't think it was Sibe Thrush... just the closest I came...

I know, sorry if I left a different impression in my last thread. I just wanted to point out why it wasn't. Whatever the case, I certainly would like to see that Siberian Thrush with a Shrikes head...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back