• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using or tested the new 85mm razors he scope? (2 Viewers)

AdamSi

As per the title anyone have or tested one yet? We are off to the Scottish highlands in April for 2 weeks and looking to replace my Nikon ed50a before then and I love the razor he binos I have now and hoping the scope is up there with the best in the same price range

Well I took the plunge today and it will be here either tomorrow or Friday, not many reviews or comments online but ones that are about were all very positive with increased DOF over previous model, if its anything line the Razor binoculars I will be very happy. I am also told that the Phoneskope for the iPhone 7+ is expected in the UK next week so fingers crossed again.

I suppose this information is coming a bit late, but the new Vortex Razor is one of a family of Japanese Kamakura made scopes which appear to share the same basic design. It includes the Kite KSP 80 HD (reviewed by Gijs van Ginkel), the new Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85 and the new Maven S.1. There's even one sold in Sweden under the Kamakura brand name (EDV 81), and there are probably others. The discontinued Brunton ICON was one which I reviewed here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=297258

I suppose, since you'll have your own Vortex version to evaluate soon there may be little point in reading about the other versions.

Henry

Well I took the plunge today and it will be here either tomorrow or Friday, not many reviews or comments online but ones that are about were all very positive with increased DOF over previous model, if its anything line the Razor binoculars I will be very happy. I am also told that the Phoneskope for the iPhone 7+ is expected in the UK next week so fingers crossed again.
Hi ... I have not had the chance to try the 85 Razor but I did try the 65mm Razor HD first generation with the optional 18x eyepiece with long eye relief. The 18x eyepiece gave a brilliant view. The scope body I found no issues, smooth focusing, excellent quality & well built scope.

i love my old razor. would love to hear how you liked this!

Absolutely love it, doesn't get used enough but deer rutting starts in just over a month so will get used a lot then, it's so clear and when in a bird hide a few months back a guy with Swarovski ATS60HD used it on a tawny owl at dusk aspen was really impressed although he only had a 60mm swarovski so think that would have a lot to do with it in dim light whereas my vortex was 85mm, it defiantly pinches above its weight and lifetime VIP warranty against accidents really helps (hopefully never need it)

I wanted to replace a 40+ year old Bushnell Space Master Scope. It's very clear and in great condition for it's age. With only a 15X eyepiece, it's rather limited in the ability to reach out to the birds that sit in the back of the marsh. So, I recently purchased the Razor HD 85mm Angled scope with the zoom eyepiece. I'm sorry to say that I was not impressed at all. The scope I received was able to discern the birds and at greater distances, but nothing was sharp. Even at the lowest magnification it just wasn't there sharpness wise. My 40+ year old Space Master was MUCH sharper. I also had a number of other people verify each of the scopes with similar opinions. I know what decent optics look like, I have a pair of near pristine Zeiss 7X42 Dialyt's. Sorry gang, my results, and maybe I just received a "Bad" copy.

Thats a real shame mine is really impressively sharp, I am sure not as good as a Swaro 85/95 but was better than the 65 we put it next to, out of interest is this brand new model with the focuser inline ? if so I wonder if the change of manufacturing country recently has led to quality issues. I see they now have a fixed eyepiece available too

Adam Si, glad you've not encountered the same issues with your scope. Yes I got the newest model with the Barrel focusing system. I'm suspecting that very same thing with quality control, little to non-existent. Looked at all of the reviews, YouTube, birding sites and retailers and it seemed like a no brainer. Unless I wanted to spend over $2,000 it WAS the answer. Now I'm left to wonder what other options I have available. I REALLY don't want to spend over 2K. I'm actually considering buying another 70's vintage Space Master just to get another eyepiece.

Unfortunately, you won't completely escape sample variation by just spending more. Bad or mediocre units are possible even among the most expensive scopes. The same applies to used Spacemasters. Learning to star-test the unit you buy and purchasing from a dealer with a liberal return policy are the scope buyer's best defense. I much prefer, where possible, to buy optics from a bricks and mortar dealer, so I can test before I buy.

One other sub $2000 scope you ought to consider is the Nikon Monarch HG.

If you don't mind a straight scope, I think the best deals are used Nikon Fieldscopes. The 78ED is often available used but in absolutely pristine condition and including one or more eyepieces for under $600. That's what I'd get.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back