• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Grandfather Mountian (2 Viewers)

Pauhana

United States
Will be up in Beech Mtn area in mid-June this year. Was wondering about birding Grandfather Mountain. Reading "birding NC" website and it talks about several areas. Swinging Bridge (think that's correct name). Can you drive/park in that area? Didn't seem real clear to me. How strenuous is the walking. Am a flat-lander. Can walk quite a ways but walking uphill is a different story, not used to that

Any other areas you would suggest. Would like to look for Pine Siskin, No. Saw-whet owl, and willow flycatcher. Assuming they may be at elevation.

Thanks for any info that can be provided

Randy

Randy -
I glanced quickly through "Birds of the Blue Ridge Mountains" by Marcus Simpson and he writes of the Beacon Heights Trail: "Be alert for Northern Saw-whet Owls calling from April through June." It is at 4220 ft. and .7 mile (RT) long. Later, he writes that the Grandfather Trail, a rugged and steep trail at a much higher elevation, may have both the Owl and Siskins. The first .5 mile of the trail is more moderate than beyond. He mentions the Shanty Spring trail as a spot for Saw-whets as well.
I would imagine most sites with ample Hemlock and Spruce forests at the higher elevations would have Owls and Siskins. The Willow Flycatcher is at much lower elevations. Mark is very focused on the Saw-whets and has hung numerous Owl boxes over the years so should be one of the better sources for Saw-whet locations.

You might look for his book before your trip -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/150991284677?lpid=82
He is currently working on a second edition but I don't know when is will be ready. Not likely before June.

Steve

Randy,

First-I'm sorry I haven't seen this post in this forum until now. I was burning this forum area up for a while but it went two months without a post so I took it off my daily (or weekly, or MONTHLY) checklist.

I live near Grandfather Mountain but have only been on the Mountain ONCE (!)

The entire area is really nice and there are many other areas that may suit you also. The Blue Ridge Parkway is my favorite "drive" and runs near the base of the mountain. It is only a short drive to Price Lake and Moses Cone Park other areas mentioned frequently by birders.

In response to your question, yes you may drive and park (after paying the rather high admission) very close to the Swinging Bridge. I'm about 350 pounds and I have no problems with any of the tourist-y areas on Grandfather. Be sure to check out Forrest Gump Curve-a spot that had a cameo in the movie when he was running across America:
http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/f/ForrestGump_GrandfatherMountain.jpg

Now the TRAIL SYSTEM around the mountain is a different story. I believe these are pretty rugged.

PM or email me and I can give all kinds of local area info.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back