• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paul C - Sunagor 100/200 (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
Hey Paul

Just blagged a Sunagor 100/200 like yours, fairly cheap at £9 and just wondered if you had any photos of the TN after stripping it out of the lens ?

It wont be here for a few days, so no hurry. Just want to be sure i get the right part. TN's seem to be different depending on the make of lens.

Cheers!

Well, the lens is stripped down but need more advice

Photos 1 and 2 is one piece, and may have more than 1 lens , and if so its glued together, but essentially, its 1 piece. Strange handles on the side does not look like yours Paul, but this was in the middle of the lens barrel.

It appears to be flat one side, and slightly convex the other side

Photos 3, 4 and 5 ( in the following post )

The single lens is loose in the small left hand housing and can be tipped out but the lens and small housing look much more like your photo Paul, but the fact that its loose and can tip out until its screwed into that long barrel, makes me think perhaps this is not it

The glass is faintly convex one side, and more convex the other side

Attachments

• sunagor 1.jpg
    sunagor 1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 174
  • sunagor 2.jpg
    sunagor 2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
And now the other bit..

Attachments

• sunagor 3.jpg
    sunagor 3.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 164
  • sunagor 4.jpg
    sunagor 4.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 186
  • sunagor 5.jpg
    sunagor 5.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 187
Pretty sure it's the piece in the long tube you want. When you look through the glass it should show the world the correct way up and show a reduction in size of everything. The other piece that's still attached to that long tube should come off too, it's probably glued in. Or you can leave it as it is and mount it with the long tube, it will provide excellent baffling. I've got quite a few of those tubes that I've saved and I mount them in just that way. It means having a long tube sticking out the front of the macro extension that you mount it in but it shouldn't require any extra baffling. Odd that it's different to mine, unless they changed the design. The glass in mine is a simple doublet like the one in your photo so maybe they changed the mount.

Paul.

Thanks matey

I've encountered a problem with both, based on your advice. The lens in the long tube, the one you think is possibly the TN, magnifies when looking though, if its not up to the eye. When held to the eye, the scene is same size , but as you move away from the eye, the scene gets magnified, so i'm guessing this isn't the TN

The funny looking lens with the pair of ears just throws the scene upside down, so we know then that its not the TN either

But..in my ignorance, i forgot to mention the last piece of internal glass

This last bit is again, loose in its housing and can be tipped out by turning the housing upside down. But the lens is concave both sides, which is opposoite to the other glass. It also shows the scene, when held to the eye, upside down and very small, so i'm guessing from your description, that this is the right piece

The photo shows the housing first with glass inside, then i tipped the glass out, and noticed that its actually 2 pieces glued together. They dont come apart. But you can see one is fatter than the other. It can fit either way round

What do you think ? It has to be the right piece based on your information ?

Attachments

• sunagor TN 1.jpg
    sunagor TN 1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 186
  • sunagor TN 2.jpg
    sunagor TN 2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Cheers Paul - as you say , its the right piece but the retaining ring has disappeared, so i have used some seriousy strong marine 2 pack epoxy, and simply glued the lens in to the housing

Just need to find something to hold the whole thing in the extension tube.

Cheers Paul - as you say , its the right piece but the retaining ring has disappeared, so i have used some seriousy strong marine 2 pack epoxy, and simply glued the lens in to the housing

Just need to find something to hold the whole thing in the extension tube.

Try using foam material of some kind. I've used foam tape and foam material from an old exercise mat. Use as many layers as required cut at the right length to fit perfectly arount the TN, compress it to fit the foam/TN assembly inside the extender and let it expand. It will prevent movement and will center the TN perfectly inside the extender. Black foam will also flock the inside - if it is shiny, make it mat with sandpaper.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back