• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wireless Talk Talk (1 Viewer)

DJRWhittle

Hi everybody,

One of my colleagues has his broadband internet from Talk Talk who provided a Thomson Speedtouch ADSL modem. It works fine.

He wants to setup a wireless network and has bought an ASUS AM604G wireless router. His computer has an AMD Turion 64x2 chip and loads of RAM, it's running Windows XP Home ver 2002 SP2.

Now the problem - Windoze acknowledges the presence of the router in Devices but it doesn't appear to see it when trying to set up a wireless network. The router didn't come with drivers. Does it need Any? I have heard that not all routers are compatible with all service providers, anybody else heard this?

Talk Talk don't offer support for any wireless network, maybe We've just found out why :-C

Anybody got any thoughts/suggestions.

TIA

Derek

OK, three questions
1) the computer has a wireless card to communicate with the router?
2) the wireless card is enabled and the antenna turned on?
3) wireless card and wireless router use the same protocol (A/B/D)?

I don't know about your hardware and ISP, but for me (Dell notebook, Linksys wireless router, and cable modem (which otherwise would connect to the computers ethernet card) from my ISP) there was no problem whatsoever.
The only time I had to hook up the wireless router with a cable to the computer was when I had to set the security features (password, secured network). The thing worked out of the box, but was not secured. Just had to connect the modem to the router and everything worked.

Now everybody can hook up to the network provided they know the user Id and password.

Ulli

DJRWhittle said:
Hi everybody,

One of my colleagues has his broadband internet from Talk Talk who provided a Thomson Speedtouch ADSL modem. It works fine.

He wants to setup a wireless network and has bought an ASUS AM604G wireless router. His computer has an AMD Turion 64x2 chip and loads of RAM, it's running Windows XP Home ver 2002 SP2.

Now the problem - Windoze acknowledges the presence of the router in Devices but it doesn't appear to see it when trying to set up a wireless network. The router didn't come with drivers. Does it need Any? I have heard that not all routers are compatible with all service providers, anybody else heard this?

Talk Talk don't offer support for any wireless network, maybe We've just found out why :-C

Anybody got any thoughts/suggestions.

TIA

Derek

im on talktalk and am posting this wirelessly.

check the router documents, it should have a ISP address. enter this into the web browser when offline, it will then allow you to configure the router. but at the same time, run the talk talk set disk and select "get the talktalk settings for my existing modem/router" go through the prosess untill you get to a list of settings (for lack of a better term). Then, on the router settings, enter the settings provided by talktalk, once this is done and the settings saved continue the talk talk setup process, hopfully It will work, but you may have to repeat it a few times.

ullihoeger said:
OK, three questions
1) the computer has a wireless card to communicate with the router?
2) the wireless card is enabled and the antenna turned on?
3) wireless card and wireless router use the same protocol (A/B/D)?
Ulli

1) It is WiFi enabled (module is fitted - I checked)
2) I presume it comes on with the machine, unlike mine it does not appear to have it's own switch.
3) I have no idea. How do I find out?

Thanks for your help.

Derek

Thanks I'll have a go. Mine just worked when I set it up. I don't know how or why, it just did. That's the way I like things to work :)

Derek

Anthony Britner said:
im on talktalk and am posting this wirelessly.

check the router documents, it should have a ISP address. enter this into the web browser when offline, it will then allow you to configure the router. but at the same time, run the talk talk set disk and select "get the talktalk settings for my existing modem/router" go through the prosess untill you get to a list of settings (for lack of a better term). Then, on the router settings, enter the settings provided by talktalk, once this is done and the settings saved continue the talk talk setup process, hopfully It will work, but you may have to repeat it a few times.

Atomic said:
It is spelled Windows...

I think he was being sarcastic when in the original post he spelt it Windoze ;)

And whilst we are correcting people, it should be spelt not spelled!!! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back