• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guanacaste Province, Costa Rica, Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

billhiltonjr

Registered Member
I'm looking for information about dates and locations where folks have sighted Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (Archilochus colubris) in Costa Rica. These most likely would ahve been in Guanacaste Province from perhaps November through March.

I'd also appreciate info about flower species upon which they were feeding and whetehr they were coming to feeders provided by local residents and/or lodges.

Thanks in advance,

BILL

Bill

I can't remember what type of flower they were feeding on, but I can definately vouch for Ruby-throats feeding in the Guanacaste region in early February 2001.

Birdingam

Sorry forgot to mention they were coming to a ranch/lodge called Hacienda Solimar. The bush they fed on seemed particularly popular at first light in the morning and they were one of the first to appear.

Birdingam

Saw a male on about 21st March this year at Tarcoles nr. Carara NP. I think it was feeding on a mimosa of some sort.

Rob

Hi, here are my records:
Feb 2nd 1990 San Jose City Park "La Sabana" 3 ex.
Nov 23rd 2000 Reserva el Rodeo, next to Ciudad Colon 1 ex
Jan 6th 2001 Cabo Blanco NP, Puntarenas province, very common
Jan 19th 2001 Palo Verde NP 1 ex
March 17th 2001 Monteverde 1 at hotel feeders
Nov 16th 2001 Rincon de la Vieja NP 1 ex
Feb 18th 2002 Chomes, Puntarenas province 1 ex
March 5th 2002 Palo Verde NP 1 ex
Oct 13th 2002 Monteverde 2 ex
Dec 18th 2002 Guacimal, Puntarenas province 1 ex
Jan 25th 2003 Guacimal, common
Feb 11th 2003 San Luis valley, Puntarenas province, 1 ex

Only seen once at the hotel feeders, flowers I only remember Stachytarpheta. All sightings on Pacific slope and Central Valley.

Hope this helps

MOTMOT . . .

This is splendid information. Thanks very much.

Are you aware of any hotels/lodges/fincas/etc. in Guanacaste that have "permanent" feeding stations that might attract Ruby-throated Hummingbirds any time October through March?

Best wishes,

BILL

I lived in Monteverde and this bird there is not common at all, I guess it´s a bit high, wet and cold for them. I had a nice time yesterday reading on your website all about your efforts trapping Rubythroats down there! The place I´ve found it commoner is in Cabo Blanco NP, on the extreme south of Nicoya peninsula, right at the entrance to it but it´s common in many North Pacific areas from October to April. I´ll send you a PM with further info.

I lived in Monteverde and this bird there is not common at all, I guess it´s a bit high, wet and cold for them. I had a nice time yesterday reading on your website all about your efforts trapping Rubythroats down there! The place I´ve found it commoner is in Cabo Blanco NP, on the extreme south of Nicoya peninsula, right at the entrance to it but it´s common in many North Pacific areas from October to April. I´ll send you a PM with further info.
I plan to photograph hummingbirds in Costa Rica next month. I see that you lived in Monteverde. Can you suggest a good hotel that has hummingbird feeders, either in Monteverde or just about anywhere else in Costa Rica.
We have along term project that aims to photograph as many of these little jewels as possible and then do an educational exhibit locally.
Thanks!

There're many feeders in most reserves in the Monteverde area, also some hotels have a few. La Paz waterfall gardens, close to Poas volcano has many feeders too. In fact, there're tons of feeders in most crican areas! Wait for Pat O'Donell (birdingcraft) or any recent visitors to the country for recent updates. Good luck.

Visited CR in January. started and ended in the Guanacast and went via Rincon, Arenal, Monteverde and Cano Negro - no Ruby Throats.

As an aside while at Arenal I spoke to a couple of guys from the US who had been coming regularly to this hotel and were disappointed at how the number of hummingbird species had rapidly dropped off. Mentioning this to our friend and guide he said this is probably being caused by recent hotel development in and around Arenal.

Cwalpole....

Video of Monteverde Hummingbird gallery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQKpTpAp9SM

Video of La Paz gallery hummingbirds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WksxtgAqArQ

Video of hummingbirds at Rancho Naturalista

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skrzUDKXI_g

Video of Savegre Lodge Hummingbird feeders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzVaKZxR3o

Video of Hummers at Paraiso de Quetzal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE5wr63kzq4

I personally think Rancho Naturalista may the better one as you can literally sit on the porch with a camera. Savegre would be my second choice, and perhaps the nearby Paraiso de Quetzal Lodge where Fiery-throated Hummingbirds are abundant.

Last edited:
Some other sites in addition to the excellent ones mentioned by JJP:

Dry habitats: Flowering Porterweed around Cerro Lodge is good for Cinnamon, Steely-vented, Ruby-throated, and Rufou-tailed Hummingbirds. Green-breasted Mango, Scaly-breasted, and Plain-capped Starthroat also possible near the lodge. Carara is also nearby. The River Trail can be good for hermits, Scaly-breasted, Purple-crowned Fairy, and Long-billed Starthroat (all in natural settings).

Highlands and foothills:
Hummingbird and butterfly garden on the main road between San Ramon and Los Lagos- Watch for the sign on the west side of the road. Excellent for White-bellied Mountain-Gem in addition to several other mid-elevation species.

Near Poas- Hidden garden across street from the Freddy Fresas restaurant. Has feeders and several of cloud forest species.

El Toucanet Lodge, Santa Maria de Dota- Among the best hummingbird feeders in country. Species similar to Monteverde with addition of Scintillant.

La Georgina, Cerro de la Muerte- Roadside restaurant with great feeders for Volcano, Fiery-throated, and Magnificent.

Noche Buena restaurant, Irazu- Nice feeders for same species as La Georgina.

Arenal Observatory Lodge- Porterweed great for Black-crested Coquette, Violet-headed, Bronze-tailed Plumeleteer, and others.

El Tapir, main highway between Guapiles and San Jose, near northern boundary of Braulio Carrilo National Park- defunct butterfly garden with Porterweed that attracts Snowcap, Green Thorntail, Plumeleteer, and others.

Talari Mountain Lodge, along road up to Chirripo- Flowering plants on grounds good for Charming Hummingbird, Long-billed Starthroat, and Snowy-bellied. White-crested Coquette and Garden Emerald may show up.

Hope that helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back