• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabo de Gata (1 Viewer)

Denis

Gwent Wildlife Trust
Hi,

I discovered today a friend of mine has a villa quite close to this Spanish National Park and was wondering what the birding is like there? Does anyone here know the area, what to look for and when to go? I know he's thinking of selling the place before the end of April so sometime soon might be good!

Any steers on information much appreciated.

Regards

Denis

It is covered in the various books on birding in southern Spain. Generally it is a bit under-watched but has the potential for attracting migrants and for sea-watching. Very dry climate, the desert conditions suiting Trumpeter Finch. Near to Almeria which has excellent saltpans and areas of steppe-like habitat that hold Dupont's Lark and Black-bellied Sandgrouse.

If you buy the villa can I please borrow it sometime in early spring one year?

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this - sounds like I'm gonna have to buy some more bird/where to watch books - shame!

If you're planning your next holiday around me buying a villa I do hope you're not planning on holidaying soon - my visit will be more of a "cheap rent" before he gets rid of it!

The only good news about my mate selling this place is he's talking about buying somewhere in France - I might have to make some subtle bird-influenced suggestions methinks!

Cheers

Denis

We spent 6 days in the Almeria area last January. Highlight in Cabo de Gata was Trumpeter Finch.

Cabo de Gata is also supposed to have Dupont's Lark but the nearest we got to that was a sound recording in the visitor centre. ;)

For interest I attach a full species list for the holiday including the Almeria salinas and one day in the Sierra Nevada.

Attachments

• almeria.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 201
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back