• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (1 Viewer)

Seen the Bullfinch pair again (back of Smarthomes Unit Finbar Ind. Est.) And their pal is with them still (never mention her/him before) but I noticed it the other week when looking at the Bullfinch pair.At first I thought it was another female Bullfinch that had been in a fight (feathers on head are missing) but no sign of any black at all around head back of neck, and a weird looking beak, longer than a normal BullFinch bill and a very noticeable crook on the upper part of it - I then thought Hawfinch but it is a light brown colour on chest/body and a bit of a white stripe across tail feathers = Not colourful enough , But it is as if the baldy patch on top is just short white feathers - I've looked at crossbill photo's but again not colourful enough.
It stays near and flies around with the Bullfinch pair and feeds exactly the same, off the buds - I'm now thinking it must be a hybrid or different variety of Bullfinch/Hawfinch that has joined up with this Pair,which are in mint condition !

If I can get a clear enough shot of it I'll post it on here !

A few record shots of the adult Ring Billed Gull that was discoved by EL at Dundalk Docks today around lunchtime.
I caught up with it later near "The Big Bridge" (Fairgreen). Quality of shots not as good as they should be - I unfortunately forgot to take the camera adapter with me.

Nice shots and great find! I see two adults in Dublin the last few days. Also someone had an osprey from soldiers point!

A few shots from a swiss trip here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/breffni/

I think its a Coal Tit and loads of them at home in Omeath and I have often counted 7 or 8 Great Tits at one time on feeders or sitting on the shed wall. Heaps of Blue Tits too and two Dunnocks about all the time. I have one identical to first photo in my garden here all winter so wondering is Coal Tit correct. They are a lovely little bird and mine has a lovely burnt orangey colour on it. I also have three Dunnocks who never leave and one is larger than others with much greyer head and black stripey sides. All the lovely Redwings still here, I wonder will they disappear in the good weather.

Tis a wee coal tit alright - there is a purported irish sub-species "hibernicus" and it may be one of these - see: http://www.birdsireland.com/pages/site_pages/features/coal_tit.html

w .t. e

Any details on the pos. osprey at soldiers pt.

The eagle that was seen by E.L. on march 2nd over dundalk looks to be the sea eagle[ f ]sat. tracked bird from reintroduced project, that is at present in whicklow,it stayed overnight in carlingford mountain the day before it was seen over dundalk.

First swallow over the garden (cooley point) in the driving rain today at 11am - early by comparison with previous years.

With this appalling weather I bet it wished it hadn't made it so far north.
Had 2 sightings over the weekend in Co. Monaghan.

Si.

I had two Twites feeding on the ground in the sleet showers before the snow came this evening with the Redpolls. I have seen a couple away in the Hawthorn trees but first time I noticed them feeding and close enough to the back door. At first I thought why are these Redpolls bigger and so dark brown,no red on their heads and then on closer inspection seeing no grey at all on heads but orangey knew have to be Twites.

Was out at Gyles Quay today about 3pm - 8 Black Guillemots siting on the piers edge and 4 Very Large Seagulls (white with black tips on the wings,yellow bills) just gliding about and then diving for fish,I thought they looked like Albatross's ? wing span must be about 2 metres !

Anybody seen them around or know what they are ? Thanks in advance

Gareth - I wish they were ; Thanks for your reply but they never had Gannets beaks or Black legs and they never dived as spectacular as Gannets do (shame) more dived and then slowed up on the surface,and had straighter wings than gannets !

I'll be there tommorow with better glasses and without any kids lol

About 3 of my unidentified birds came back in snow this morning ....... I now query some of them may be some type of Flycatcher birds or resemble them and they are birds I know little about. I actually saw them with female Greenfinch and definitely not Greenfinches as smaller and different shape even. Anyway I also have a male Greenfinch with a green band on his leg........... I do recall reading about someone doing that but forget where I read it.

Tried for that ring billed gull yesterday (low tide) and today (high tide) but no sing - in fact no gulls at all - when is best time to get him?

hi Breff.,
Gull seen about 20 minutes befor high tide, no gulls were present when i arrived, then a dozen Gulls appeared with the Ruff.

Tis a wee coal tit alright - there is a purported irish sub-species "hibernicus" and it may be one of these - see: http://www.birdsireland.com/pages/site_pages/features/coal_tit.html

Thanks just getting chance to see this now as family home for Easter. I have one the same I think in my garden all winter and he is so lovely. My mother has at least two different sorts of the smaller ones and presently trying to figure them out (not easy). I decided some of my puzzling birds cannot be Flycatchers as the curly toes and legs very very pink coloured and think they have to be black coloured..........
I saw a lovely Redwing going in and out of a hedge today near here.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back