• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alternative to Acrobat reader? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I am concerned with Acrobat reader, because if I click on a local PDF, it want to contact some online DDE server before it will open the file. Is there another less intrusive PDF reader that otherwise does a good job with PDFs?

thanks
Niels

Thank you all, I should have specified that I have a Win XP mashine. I also want to apologize for not returning to this earlier. I have now Uninstalled Adobe Reader, and instead installed Sumatra.

So now the next question: I still want to have Adobe flash player installed into my web browsers, but I am not aware I have any other adobe products running. However, add/remove programs is telling me that I have Adobe Air, Flash player activeX, and Flash player plugin installed as well. Can I get rid of any of these without problems?

Thanks
Niels

If you normally use a non-IE browser, you can get rid of Flash ActiveX. AIR I always uninstall, not even sure what it's supposed to be ...

AIR I always uninstall, not even sure what it's supposed to be ...
Within a few days of typing that, I might have bumped into a reason for having AIR installed: http://photoephemeris.com/ at least for someone into shooting landscapes or looking for a good obs. watchpoint for species that are most likely to appear at a certain time of day, planning a trip, etc..

2.4MB download plus 14.7MB for AIR.

All right, I today found out that Sumatra does not quite cut it for me. Every once in a while, I need to fill in information into a pre-existing PDF, print it, sign it, and send the scanned image as an email. So far, PDF-Exchange has the functionality I was missing in Sumatra, I just hope it is not as intrusive as Adobe was on my system.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back