• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

big black bird with striking half red wings (1 Viewer)

rasec

last wednesday in my garden in sidcup kent i had this visitor this big black bird all over black with half red wings with a bright red and yellow flatish beak having lived in the tropic and traveled i have neven seen such a bird could some help so i could get a picture of it as i am 55 years of age and i might never see this creature again thank you all resec

rasec said:
last wednesday in my garden in sidcup kent i had this visitor this big black bird all over black with half red wings with a bright red and yellow flatish beak having lived in the tropic and traveled i have neven seen such a bird could some help so i could get a picture of it as i am 55 years of age and i might never see this creature again thank you all resec

How big was it compared to a common british bird?

Bigger than a blackbird?

big black bird with half red wings

rasec said:
the black bird in question was the size of a poussain

Last edited:
"Poussin, also known as Spring Chicken, Coquelet and Cornish Game Hen, are young chickens bred for extra flavour and tenderness. " !!!

Paul_Gower said:
"Poussin, also known as Spring Chicken, Coquelet and Cornish Game Hen, are young chickens bred for extra flavour and tenderness. " !!!

Ah, twas the spelling, thanks for the enlightenment Paul.

This si a funny description. Not many birds I would say have flatish beaks apart from ducks and geese. He refers to chicken sized so could it be a bantam species? :h?:

To be honest my first thought was toucan (ignoring flat beak).

Apart from the half red wings one could also think of Moorhen... as it has a red and yellow bill with a flattish horny plate at the base and is black... but surely this wasn´t it?!

Joern Lehmhus said:
Apart from the half red wings one could also think of Moorhen... as it has a red and yellow bill with a flattish horny plate at the base and is black... but surely this wasn´t it?!

That's a good guess!

It would be helpful if the person who saw it could check a few of these or at least find a similar looking species.

big black bird with half red wings

Tim100 said:
That's a good guess!

It would be helpful if the person who saw it could check a few of these or at least find a similar looking species.
i am a keen angler those pesty moorhens are always after my bait i know what moorhen look like this black bird was jet black all over size of a moor hen with half bottom red wings with yellow red stripe beak :hippy:

rasec said:
i am a keen angler those pesty moorhens are always after my bait i know what moorhen look like this black bird was jet black all over size of a moor hen with half bottom red wings with yellow red stripe beak :hippy:

then i would have to say it was a mynah bird of some species which is definitely an escapee and somebody has said this earlier but perhaps you could look this up and check to see whether it is correct because we dont know at the moment whether you have and we will be guessing forever otherwise unless you let us know what it was whether it was a mynah bird species or not and the description does seem to match with your description which you wrote at the beginning of this thread

Tim100 said:
then i would have to say it was a mynah bird of some species which is definitely an escapee and somebody has said this earlier but perhaps you could look this up and check to see whether it is correct because we dont know at the moment whether you have and we will be guessing forever otherwise unless you let us know what it was whether it was a mynah bird species or not and the description does seem to match with your description which you wrote at the beginning of this thread
sorry i do not wish anybody to keep guessing it is not amynah bird and it is not a british species ihave abird table plus 4 feeders i fish on a nature reserve in sidcup with birders i have never seen a black bird the size of a moor hen with deep red bottom half wing tip red yellow striped flatish beak as it is close season i could not further my enquiries :hippy:

It couldn't be a Mynah bird because there are no Mynahs with red in the wing I don't think. The Onychognathus species (Red-winged Starlings) have reddish wingtips, but none have colourful beaks. Quite a puzzle!

rasec said:
sorry i do not wish anybody to keep guessing it is not amynah bird and it is not a british species ihave abird table plus 4 feeders i fish on a nature reserve in sidcup with birders i have never seen a black bird the size of a moor hen with deep red bottom half wing tip red yellow striped flatish beak as it is close season i could not further my enquiries :hippy:
Could it be one of the many other Rails Crakes or even one of the oystercatchers

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back