• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpipers to ID! (1 Viewer)

Progne Subis

Bird is the word...
Shorebirds to ID!

The sandpiper photo was taken on the shore of the Strait of Juan de Fuca in Washinton. I know the two on the left are Sanderlings, it's the other two which have me a bit boggled. As for the ducks, photo was taken in the same place, I think they might be Teals. The gull pic was taken when I was out sailing on the Puget Sound. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF1507.jpg
    DSCF1507.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCF1107.jpg
    DSCF1107.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF1565.jpg
    DSCF1565.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
hi tayler,
the right hand sandpiper is a sanderling too, the peep seems to be a western sand,
as for the gull i'm inclined to mew gull and the ducks, well, they may be green-winged teals, but look somewhat longnecked to me, hard to say from that pic.

Tayler, I don't suppose you have any more pics of the gull? Lou may be right about Mew Gull, but the bill looks a bit too heavy and too long to me. Mantle looks pretty dark, so I'm inclined towards California Gull.

I take it you know your Glaucous-winged Gulls well enough. How did this bird strike you as different? (Size, build, colours etc)

yes, can be california on bill length, esp. since there seems to be some bigger markings to billtip. just thought the prim pattern is wrong for california and fits better mew?

Progne Subis said:
The sandpiper photo was taken on the shore of the Strait of Juan de Fuca in Washinton. I know the two on the left are Sanderlings, it's the other two which have me a bit boggled. As for the ducks, photo was taken in the same place, I think they might be Teals. The gull pic was taken when I was out sailing on the Puget Sound. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
3.) The white borders to the speculum on the two rightmost birds remind me of Mallard, but the pics are pretty fuzzy. They all look about the same size, so wouldn't expect the left two to be teal.
CHEERS, JOE G

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your opinions so promptly. About the Gull, I think you might be right about it being a California because of the dark wingtips and mantle as well as the bill shape, but I really don't have any other photos of it from a different angle, just another picture from the back side. So I know the pic is pretty much the same as the first one, but maybe it can help. Also, I believe all of you are right about the IDs of the Sandpipers and the ducks, I was uncertain of their identities at first so my suspicions are now confirmed.

Attachments

• DSCF1107.jpg
    DSCF1107.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Progne Subis said:

This photo is perfect in illustrating 'size illusion'...notice how large the right-hand bird is compared to the two on the left.

John.

john barclay said:
This photo is perfect in illustrating 'size illusion'...notice how large the right-hand bird is compared to the two on the left.

John.

Even tho the two on the right are turned away from the camera they do, to my eye, give the impression of being smaller.

John.

Definitely not a Mew Gull, with that bill/tip and shape of the bird. I´m also in the California Gull camp, but would which for a better view of the gull before I can reach a conclusion.
JanJ

The gull looks very good for a California Gull, it has the right gray color on the upperparts, right head shape, and right bill shape (and has the right mark on the lower mandible). Hard to imagine what else it would be.

And I'd guess I'd lean towards Western Sandpiper on the first photo, but the bird just seems so darn small compared to the Sanderlings. Could it be a Least, especially since it's on the upper beach away from water?

David Lukas
WhatBird.com

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back