• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 8x42mm Legend Roof Prism Binoculars (1 Viewer)

wiko

any advice on which to buy,..bushnell legends..or leopald 6x 30.. also looking at hawke frontiers.. or any others..thanks

That's quite a range ...

Hawkes' are the best of the bunch but cost the most.

The Yosemites will be rather difficult to get in the UK but are rather good for a compact porro.

Bushnell Legeneds are a nice bin (if a bit narrow). Not sure of the pricing in the UK. I would have though with bin $ == bin £ these might be £200 in which case I'd pony up the extra £80 and get the Hawkes.

So what is your intended use?

Last edited:
If this is a primary binocular, 8x42 is a great all around. I'd only buy a 6x30 as a primary if I had very shaky nerves or my usual conditions were very conducive to that. 6x30 is pretty specialized but those that own them are usually ecstatic. I don't...yet, but I do have a couple 7x which suffice for now.

My best suggestion is that you tell us more about your intended use. Hopefully then you will get more recommendations. 'Tis a great time to be in the market!

Out of the three bins my preferences would probably be in the order of the Hawkes, the Legends and then the Yosemites. As Kevin made reference to it is going to depend on your intended application though. If light weight and ease of use are your primary concerns then the Yosemites are the way to go. If you want the best image quality then the Hawke's would get the nod. If you like a combination of compactness, good handling and decent image quality then the Legend roofs would be a good choice.

thanks..nature, birdwatching..are the areas i want to look at .. are viking vistron, also a good brand name....so many models to choose from thanks for your great advice.

I must admit that I have never heard of the Viking Vistron. My apologies. But you are right in that there are most certainly many excellent models to choose from. If I were you I would keep an eye on those Legend roofs. With the introduction of the new Legend ED series I think the older version of Legends will drop in price further.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back