• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 7x36 EX Birder ** Lowest Price ** (1 Viewer)

So is anyone else looking to pull the trigger on a pair of these? I know one or two of you has the 7x36 Diamondbacks locked up but I don't remember if anyone else was looking at the Bushnells.

I'm tempted at $180 but not at $250.

Though I can still remeber my previous experience with the EX. ;)

Yeah, well I got suckered into ordering a pair. I did a little googling and initially saw that only B and H had them for that price..and I am not waiting 7-14 days for them to get them to me. So I found a nice deal for them at Opticsplanet (remember, the place I have the order for the Legend EDs with) for $250 with a $100 rebate......so I ordered them. Only afterwards did I see that the rebate only applied if I ordered both the Bowhunter EXs and a rangefinder....

:(

Still, I will give them a try and see how they perform. Who knows...maybe I will actually enjoy them. Somehow I have a feeling I won't though I try not to be too judgemental...

...I remember the 8x36 too.

;)

I saw that deal, too, but don't need the rangefinder. Still the size of the EX seems appealing. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of them.

Well, new twist to the story. They called me yesterday and said that they did not have the camo versions in stock but did have the green ones. Ofcourse I was more than happy to change considering the lack of a rebate. They then called back and said that they had to be shipped from Bushnell directly and that Bushnell would not send via USPS Priority Mail. So, it looks like I will be waiting for FedEX or UPS to drop them off some time in the next week.

I look forward to them as I enjoy the 7x magnification. My only two concerns after owning the 8x version are the diopter slipping and the sweet spot being wide enough.

Not having camo in stock at Bushnell doesn't bode well for SteveC. If the distributor doesn't have it the retailer probably doesn't either.

Bushnell do seem pretty prompt in drop shipping! It was the snow that slowed them up over Christmas.

I received the Bushnell Excursion EX 7x36s this afternoon.

Here are some initial impressions after using it for the last three hours.

Positives:

Brightness- Very good...better than I expected considering the price.

Centerfield sharpness - Very good...better than expected.

Depth of field (apparent) - Very good and similar to that of many of the other 7xs I have owned.

Handling - Both its size/weight and overall ergonomics are to my liking

Focusing tension - Very good. It does not feel "loose" in the sense that many 30-something mm binoculars feel for me.

Overall fit and finish - Excellent....eyecups, central hinges, rubber armor, all look and feel very well put together.

Negatives:

Field Curvature/Edge Distortion/Size of sweetspot- This is probably my biggest complaint. The true sweet spot of image in focus at the center of the field of view is very small. I would say slightly less than 50% of the image. The outer edge of the image seems to be affected by both astigmatism (to an extent) and field curvature if that is possible. I can refocus part of the outer percentage of the field of view but not all of it.

In addition the level of edge distortion/curvature does not seem to be equal on all edges of the field of view. It is definitely noticeably worse in the lower portion of the image, in comparison to the upper. Strange.

Color fringing - Noticeable in all of the image but the very center. It is not excessive in the second third of the image but definitely there. The outer 1/3rd displays more than I would care for.

Steve's "depth of focus" - is very short. You are either on focus or off. This seems moderately related to the speed of the focus but the tension is at the level where you don't seem to notice it much.

Overall conclusion on the initial impressions are that I love the ergonomics, fit and finish and overall brightness of the image. I do not really like the rest of the image qualities. For $250 I would expect more. For $160 I could probably live with it.

Bushnell 7x36 Birder - Is it worth the discounted Price???

Before I read Frank's review I happened to let a few of my friends look thru these for a few minutes ( all have never owned a pair of binoculars) & they all had that WOW look, thought these were just great. I will get back to their experience in a bit. Then I took another good look thru my 7x36 EX birder binos & at least with my eyes wearing glasses the overall image quality & handling still leaves me with more of a positive then negative experience. Of course, I did not have the same WOW experience having owned & using optics for the last 35yrs. Since I paid $169.95 it a keeper. That being said one should always try out a pair of binoculars first before handing out your hard earned dollars, whether your a novice or a expert. Looking thru a pair of binoculars is a very objective experience. So to all of you people new to the world of optics enjoy these first impressions & just get out there & glass!!!

gcole,

Hey, I tend to forget that words on a page don't always often convey an accurate representation of thoughts/feelings on an issue. I have been using the 7x36s off and on since I posted that. After going back and re-reading my earlier comments I cannot honestly say that I disagree with anything I posted earlier. However, sometimes I can be overly critical of an optical design. To put it in a better perspective I think these are entirely comparable in image quality to something like the Nikon Monarch or Bushnell Legend. I guess my "problem" is that I was hoping, with 7x, that some of the optical properties that separate $300 roofs from $900 roofs would not be as apparent.

For what they are I think they provide good optical performance. At the $170 or even $200 price point I would consider these a good buy. I enjoy their ergonomics and fit and finish. Even their optics are entirely acceptable.

All that matters is that you are happy using them.

On a general note I'm finding myself a bit like FrankD on this sort of bin.

It may in fact be a fine bin but doesn't "advance the art" so it ends up as a bit of a disappointment even though a lot of "normal" people looking through it would think "This is better than any other bin I've seen".

I recently sold my Diamondback 8x42 to a friend for exactly that reason. He's an enthusiastic birder for a long time. But he had terrible, terrible bins ($30 Bushnell porros). He loves ducks but didn't chase passerines ("they all look alike" ... well, yeah with those horrible bins they would). He's very, very happy with those Diamondbacks: wide field, bright, good ER. But to me they could be brighter and a little more neutral (less blue) and the AR coatings show small ghosts if you really push them. It's all relative!

Ultimately one has to try to compare bins in the same class but I find with my biases that is getting more difficult as time goes on.

On the other hand, like ronh's recent comment, it does cut down on the number of bins one lusts after.

gcole,

Hey, I tend to forget that words on a page don't always often convey an accurate representation of thoughts/feelings on an issue. I have been using the 7x36s off and on since I posted that. After going back and re-reading my earlier comments I cannot honestly say that I disagree with anything I posted earlier. However, sometimes I can be overly critical of an optical design. To put it in a better perspective I think these are entirely comparable in image quality to something like the Nikon Monarch or Bushnell Legend. I guess my "problem" is that I was hoping, with 7x, that some of the optical properties that separate $300 roofs from $900 roofs would not be as apparent.

For what they are I think they provide good optical performance. At the $170 or even $200 price point I would consider these a good buy. I enjoy their ergonomics and fit and finish. Even their optics are entirely acceptable.

All that matters is that you are happy using them.......[ Frank, In no way did I intend to criticize your review. Having a forum like this is great for everyone to be able to express their opinions & voice their views based on there experiences in life. IF forums like this were available 40 years ago I would not have spent so much money on junk optics. I guess we all have become spoiled somewhat expecting every new binocular design that comes out to be better & cheaper. I look forward to reading yours & the rest of the groups comments........Gcole

I am glad to hear you took my comments in the right light.

I have to agree that these forums are a wonderful resourse and, arguably, the best place to go for info on binoculars on the net.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back