• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone tried B&L 10x24 Legacy Compacts? (1 Viewer)

Quacker

I'm still looking for a lightweight pair of bins to complete my lightweight field kit. Has anyone any experience of these - good and bad?

Steve

I have bought one three weeks ago and used heavily in Danube Delta. My choice was good, i guess, as i carry with me also video and photocam.

Quacker said:
I'm still looking for a lightweight pair of bins to complete my lightweight field kit. Has anyone any experience of these - good and bad?

Steve

I've just got a pair of Bushnell Legacy 8x24s from a seller on ebay for £19.11 (big smug grin).

I've been looking for a pair for a while after testing a few different sorts at an optics shop. I really liked the image clarity, compact design (although not small enough for a shirt pocket) and the fact that I can focus on infinity without my glasses (I'm -7 diopters short-sighted). The eye-relief is fine to use with glasses, but it's more comforable sometimes to take the specs off when birding from a hide.

I usually use (enormous) Swift Audubons (Mk1 version) that constantly clonk my 3 year-old son on the head when I pick him up, so I'm sure he will appreciate the smaller/lighter/rubber armoured Bushnells!

I went out to compare the Bushnells with the Swifts the other day and found little difference in normal daylight (save for an approximately 20% smaller field of view with the Bushnells). At dusk, obviously, the Swifts were better than the Bushnells, but I have to say the difference was not as much as I had feared.

I'd say go for the 8x24s for a good brightness/FOV compromise. I switched from 10x to 8.5x a few years ago and hardly noticed the difference.

Sorry for the rambling reply!!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back