• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D RAWs again (1 Viewer)

graham catley

still struggling with work on 40D RAWs------Capture One Beta 4 does an excellent job in conversion but I cannot seem to rename files from within the software and it only seems to be possible to delete one image at once so if like me you have 200 consecutive images which are in need of trashing you have to do them one by one and confirm deletion every time---

Lightroom also seem to refuse to allow me to rename images except by imported card load which is no good when you have lots of different images on a card----it also only seems to allow you to delete one image at once and even when you empty the trash can the images are still there in the original folders on my computer?

RAW shooter was is so much easier; multiple deletions then empty bin and they are gone; but of course no good for the 40D images

am I doing things wrong?

I can really recommend a piece of software called BreezeBrowser Pro. The latest version handles 40D raw beautifully with lots of controls (you almost don't need Photoshop), naming is easy (even batch renaming), multiple deleting is easy, . . . I like everything about it. A trial version can be downloaded from their web site for free, then you can register later if you like it. Just do a web search for it.

(I am a user, I have no commercial interest in the company or product.)

Have you actually looked at Digital photo Pro that came with the camera? It will allow you to multiple delete and you can adjust just about everything, trim and clone in raw, as well as rgb mode, before you transform to jpeg.
dpreview in their 40D review found it to be as good as any of the after-market programs.

I have recently started to use DPP for my 40D Raws and find it to be an excellent converter - far better that ACR that I have been using for the past two years IMO. After conversion you have a single click to ake you into CS2.
I am not suprised that Dpreview rate it highly.

A suggestion for you Graham try this website www.dxo.com the latest version supports the 40D its basically a RAW convertor with a multitude of other features it`s available as a demo for you to evaluate before buying.I use this prog it`s great.

Steve.

thanks for the many quick replies--just put the DPP on the puter and it does look pretty good allowing batch renaming and deltion and the converted files look good too---mind you a 16 bit TIFF did come out at 50MB!

Thanks again

A suggestion for you Graham try this website www.dxo.com the latest version supports the 40D its basically a RAW convertor with a multitude of other features it`s available as a demo for you to evaluate before buying.I use this prog it`s great.

Steve.

The latest version of DXO is having huge big problems. I'd wait a few weeks until they've developed a version that can open an image without a Blue Screen of Death.

Keith Reeder on his website tell you how to convert a raw file to a DNG file and the free version of rawshooter will be able to read this, its a bit long winded when converting yuor files but i like the work flow of rawshooter.Only drawback is that DPP does'nt read the dng file it has to be CR2.

Keith Reeder on his website tell you how to convert a raw file to a DNG file and the free version of rawshooter will be able to read this, its a bit long winded when converting yuor files but i like the work flow of rawshooter.Only drawback is that DPP does'nt read the dng file it has to be CR2.
Surely in DPP you do not need to convert to DNG as it reads 40D RAWS (and IMO is a great RAW converter, I have tried ACR, RSE, Bible but prefer DPP).

For ease of use I find Canon's DPP as good as any. I downloaded a trial copy of Capture One, but couldn't see any great advantage over DPP. I also downloaded a trial version of Bibble, but it wouldn't open on my computer. I have to confess I have Photoshop CS3 extended, and there is not much that won't do.

For ease of use I find Canon's DPP as good as any. I downloaded a trial copy of Capture One, but couldn't see any great advantage over DPP. I also downloaded a trial version of Bibble, but it wouldn't open on my computer. I have to confess I have Photoshop CS3 extended, and there is not much that won't do.

Out of interest, why did you get CS3 extended rather than CS3?

Light room does allow deletion of multiple images. 1) you must be in "library" view. While holding the "control" key down left click on all of the images you want to delete. Place your mouse on any of the now highlighted images and right click: a fly up window will appear with two coices. 1) remove images and 1) delete from disc. The first choise only removes the image from the program. The second choice will, in fact, remove the images from your disc!! There are several choices in Lightroom for renaming files and also for organizing your files: this was the entire purpose of Lightroom to be an interface between file management through Windows. It works very well. There are a few good books out there which walk you through the proceedures... One good one is called "Work flow with Lightroom". This program, once understood, is excellent.

Ragna said:
Keith Reeder on his website tell you how to convert a raw file to a DNG file and the free version of rawshooter will be able to read this, its a bit long winded when converting your files but i like the work flow of rawshooter.Only drawback is that DPP does'nt read the dng file it has to be CR2.

Roy C said:
Surely in DPP you do not need to convert to DNG as it reads 40D RAWS (and IMO is a great RAW converter, I have tried ACR, RSE, Bibble but prefer DPP).

Yeah, but DPP doesn't have RSE's fantastic highlight recovery ability, Roy - for that alone it's worth using.

And like Graham, I prefer the workflow - and most importantly, the end results (and I've also got Cap One, Bibble, Silkypix, DPP, ACR...)

I had a good try of DPP recently, but I'm back to RSE.

In case anyone's still interested:

http://www.capture-the-moment.co.uk/tp/articles/rawshooter-essentials-and-the-40d

I'm also happy to email a prepared version of the RSE exe file (only 615kb zipped) to anyone who feels unsure about the hex editing bit.

Just rename your existing rawshooter.exe, unzip my edited version and drop it into the RSE progam file folder - job done.

As to the DNG conversion stage: on the face of it it sounds like more work, but I've set up the Adobe DNG converter to always look for a folder called "CANON100" (or whatever it is) on the CF card, so all I do is insert the card in the card reader, fire up the DNG converter, select a destination folder, click on the "Convert" button - and go off and make myself a cup of tea while it does its thing!

;)

In reality it's no extra hassle at all - the files are downloaded from the CF card and converted at the same time.

Last edited:
Yeah, but DPP doesn't have RSE's fantastic highlight recovery ability, Roy - for that alone it's worth using.

And like Graham, I prefer the workflow - and most importantly, the end results (and I've also got Cap One, Bibble, Silkypix, DPP, ACR...)

http://www.capture-the-moment.co.uk/tp/articles/rawshooter-essentials-and-the-40d

I'm also happy to email a prepared version of the RSE exe file (only 615kb zipped) to anyone who feels unsure about the hex editing bit.

Just rename your existing rawshooter.exe, unzip my edited version and drop it into the RSE progam file folder - job done.

As to the DNG conversion stage: on the face of it it sounds like more work, but I've set up the Adobe DNG converter to always look for a folder called "CANON100" (or whatever it is) on the CF card, so all I do is insert the card in the card reader, fire up the DNG converter, select a destination folder, click on the "Convert" button - and go off and make myself a cup of tea while it does its thing!

;)

In reality it's no extra hassle at all - the files are downloaded from the CF card and converted at the same time.
My original statement still hold good 'Surely in DPP you do not need to convert to DNG as it reads 40D RAWS'. Obviously if you are going to convert to a DNG then you would not use DPP in the first place. (the poster said he did like DPP because it would not open DNG files !)

As for recovering highlight detail I prefer to use 'shadows/highlights' tool in CS2 - the most useful tool of the lot IMO. And again IMO better than RSE.

Cannot work out why people do not like the workflow in DPP, it is very simply and straightforward (possible a case of reluctance to change by a lot of folks I reckon).

My original statement still hold good 'Surely in DPP you do not need to convert to DNG as it reads 40D RAWS'.

But nobody said you did, Roy.

The point Graham is making is that unless you convert to DNG and keep the original CR2s (which I don't) you rule out the use of DPP.

As for recovering highlight detail I prefer to use 'shadows/highlights' tool in CS2 - the most useful tool of the lot IMO. And again IMO better than RSE.

Fair enough, but it seems sensible to me to do my highlight recovery before the conversion stage when I've got the greatest amount of image information to play with - but then I don't convert to 16 bit TIFF.

Cannot work out why people do not like the workflow in DPP, it is very simply and straightforward (possible a case of reluctance to change by a lot of folks I reckon).

It is quite possible to try something and actually not care for it without that preference indicating a personality flaw, Roy!

;)

Last edited:
That is something I miss the most...

I'm interested in this as I find DPP a bit clumsy, but I assume you lose the functionality of another camera? As a matter of interest, which one?

[edit]Ah, I read your page and see what you did - it does become a bit kludgy with the DNG conversion too :([/edit]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back