• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Rebate Camo Jackets: has yours arrived? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

This came up on the Binocular Bargain's thread but I think it deserves it's own thread.

To see the original posts:

It started back in December with the closing date in February.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1358942&postcount=152

and some posts following it.

Then recently we had some jackets turning up (well after the deadline).

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1453040&postcount=371
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1453040&postcount=372
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1453040&postcount=373
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1453040&postcount=374
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1453488&postcount=376

So I applied for three rebates (a Legend porro, a Legend roof and an Elite) with different sized jackets. Sent them three $10 checks (which they have deposited) and delivery confirmation which shows they arrived in time. Checked the web site -- they don't seem to know me. Not sure how bad that is ... if they've mangled my address then it's possible I can't look them up. So far the jackets not arrived as of posting this.

It will be interesting to track the appearance of these jackets. Perhaps they waited until they got all the rebate applications to do a large run in China to make them?

I guess I need to give them a call too.

Got my second jacket!

I am loving Sports Authority and Bushnell right now. The Legend 8x42 and 12x50 roofs and these two jackets are the best Christmas presents I've gotten in quite awhile. The jacket was advertised as being made of "tricot". Someone posted that he had heard of waders made of tricot. This is the first time I've encountered the fabric. I'm really impressed with it. It is like wearing a full zip hoodie sweatshirt that is waterproof and breathable. They're the most comfortable waterproof jackets I've ever owned. Turns out they have slash chest pockets also (well concealed). The jackets are worth more than what the bins cost even if they billed you. I hope everybody gets their's.

I am sorry to say I never followed through with ordering my jacket after picking up the Legend porros. At the time I was enthused about it as well as the GPS I was supposed to receive from Eagle Optics. Never received that either.

Maybe next time.

;)

And my three jackets all arrived today in USPS mail.

That always happens. I get antsy and then they appear.

More later but they actually look rather good.

I had three rebates and spread reabtes the sizes so I would get a good fit: a M, a L and and XL.

As I'm 5 feet 10 inches and 165lbs the US medium does for me and the large (with only slightly too long sleeves) will work well with many layers underneath in winter!

The XL is still in the wrap ... I may use it as a tent or a hide ;)

Though if someone is finding their smaller one isn't working let me know and we can swap.

Geez Louise, you are stacked for camo now, huh?

No 2XLs? Darn, then I could have bought one off of you.

;)

I was wondering about that, Frank.

I found I can use my large waist bag with two waterbottles (which is black and rather bright dark blue) under my XL jacket! Perfect camo and I don't actually look like a camel.

The M is actually a rather sartorial fit. One can almost feel it starting to pull up against the back as you raise the bins.

The L is a bit baggier. More like a military smock top. Plenty of room for layers underneath.

I did find one stitching error (missed the fabric on one side on the slash pocket lining of the L jacket. Need to fix that or loose stuff into the lining.

I've been out in them a couple of times. Confusing the local trendoids who love to wear DPM or pseudo-digital camo but are confused by the "realistic" mossy oak camo. I could start a new trend: the urban hunter.

With my black jeans on I look like a 5' 10" high mobile oak tree. Still not had any chickadees fly into me. But it's only a matter of time.

With my black jeans on I look like a 5' 10" high mobile oak tree. Still not had any chickadees fly into me. But it's only a matter of time.

You laugh but I have had plenty of birds land on my hat/shoulder when I am sitting 20 feet up a tree in a treestand. I even had one deposit a little present as well.

;)

You laugh but I have had plenty of birds land on my hat/shoulder when I am sitting 20 feet up a tree in a treestand. I even had one deposit a little present as well.

;)

Actually the closest I've been to a chickadee was when sitting in my wife's p-patch reading and (sort of birding) watching a mixed flock come through the patch. They spend time sitting on garden poles and dropping down to eat.

When one dropped of the pole and headed straight at my face I didn't move but screwed up my eyes and waited for impact. No impact. But an odd scratching on my hat followed by a very loud chickadeedeedee call. He hung around on my hat few minutes before heading off with the flock. I really was just another bit of shrubbery to him.

In this case I was wearing a very drab brown sweatshirt (that I bird in) and a dun colored medium brimmed hat and dark sunglasses. And I'd been motionless too. All things I use when birding.

Oh, I was out in the P-patch in the sun today wearing the M camo jacket over a T-shirt. Air temp was 60F and no activity and I didn't overheat in it. So that's perhaps the upperbound temp for this jacket I think but nice and comformatble even with a bit of a wind blowing.

Previous day I was birding in it at Montlake Fill (open mixed habitat) and it was quite good even though I got quite sweaty (it was more sunny than I though). When the sun went in air temp in the high 50s I didn't have any problem overheating when walking at "birding pace".

It seems breathable enough for me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back