• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FLickr (1 Viewer)

DaveJones

Hi Guys.....

Why is it that the quality of my photos appear worse once posted on sites such as flickr, than when they do after ive edited them on my PC?

Im using Photoshop 7, and believe me...they look perfect when ive finished them, but dont look as good when ive posted them elsewhere!

Thanks in Advance:t:

Im bringing this back to the top, since im still looking for an answer.

I need to know whether its due to my monitor, and if so, whats the best settings to portray a true picture from editing through to posting?

Most of the images look ok on my monitor, but then look either to light or to dark or even noisy when i post them on flickr ect.

Hi Dave, when uploading is there a setting that you are using. My website has the option to 'optimise for web' when uploading, which actually reduces the image quality but makes the pages faster to load. Alternatively is it resizing the images?

Flickr doesn't do that, you can set a maximum size but it will upload what you ask it too plain and simple.
Dave post the link to Flickr so we can see and post the link to where you believe the images are better quality

Flickr doesn't do that, you can set a maximum size but it will upload what you ask it too plain and simple.
Dave post the link to Flickr so we can see and post the link to where you believe the images are better quality

Dave,

As Steve (Duke) says Flickr only accepts what you upload and doesn't downsize the image for you, Flickr is where my pics always look their best, even better than my laptop when I view then on another monitor.

As Steve suggested let us have a look at the problem and someone might be able to help.

But it does seem to darken them somewhat, or at least that’s been my experience. I use PE6 & routinely lighten photos that look fine as is in that program before uploading them to Flickr. I’ve found that if I don’t do this, the Flickr versions are invariably too dark

Last edited:
Pehaps it's a problem with the OP's browser's colour management?

Some browsers don't support colour management, or they do support it but you have to enable it. I know Safari is colour managed but in firefox you have to download a plug-in and install it. No idea about IE.

Color management was mentioned (BTW firefox can do it without a plug-in, it just has to be activated in the configuration as it is turned off by default, google knows the details on how to do it).
Another potential catch is the color space you work in.
PS and LR can work with color spaces that exceed what webbrowsers and other viewer programs can display or even printer spaces such as CYMK that are not exactly suitabe for RGB based displays.
Make sure you save the processed jpg in a web compatible color space such as RGB or sRBG if you are not already working in it.

UH

What color space are the jpeg that you uploaded to flickr?

they should be srgb for the web , anything else makes the picture look dull and darker .

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back