• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with tripod/ballhead (1 Viewer)

QuestionableCarrot

Hi

I know this has been done to death but I have a Sigma 150 500 and want to photo Kingfishers at my local river. Whats the best (and cheapest) setup for a bird photographer?

I am getting really confused with ballheads and gimbals.

I just want someone to tell me whats the best,basic and cheap setup for taking the tripod out now and again as I prefer to walk and shoot.

Ta very much

Apart from large rather expencive ball heads most tend to be used for landscape this is simply because the land scape is not going to fly off :) you have plenty of time to set things up although cloud formations can put a bit of a rush on.

Gimbals tend to be used for fast action because you can set them up to be ready so you just have to grab the camera and swing onto the subject ,In use there is very little diffrence between a sidemount gimbal or a full gimbal but some sidemounts do need a ball head.

Rob.

Don't rule out the pan and tilt heads as these operate in much the same fashion as a Gimbal head but obviously are much cheaper and will be more suited for a lens such as yours.

The cheapest tripod + head that will (IMO) do the job properly would, as far as I know, be a carbon tripod such as the Triopo 1227 (Item No 180665506909 on a well known auction site) and a Gimbal head such as the Manfrotto 393 or the Lensmaster Gimbal (see Gyrob's sig) which I hear very good things about - though I have not used one myself.
The total cost would be about £250 - which is a quarter the price of my Gitzo/Wimberley setup, yet should still do a VERY good job for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back