• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Even "Idiot's Guide" didn't help (1 Viewer)

AlphaCentauri

I have problems photographing birds in flight. I have a good Fuji camera but it seems slow to capture a moving object (maybe I'm "slow" and probably shouldnt blame the camera haha |;| )Anyhow, pictures turn out to be blurry, usually featuring the butt of the flying away bird. What settings should I be using? Any tips?

When you are saying good camera, which model? how fast does it focus and how do you choose where it focus?

Even guys using the fastest dSLRs struggle with birds in flight some times.

cheers
Niels

I have problems photographing birds in flight. I have a good Fuji camera but it seems slow to capture a moving object (maybe I'm "slow" and probably shouldnt blame the camera haha |;| )Anyhow, pictures turn out to be blurry, usually featuring the butt of the flying away bird. What settings should I be using? Any tips?

If it ain't a SLR, you ain't got much of a chance.

Some, otherwise very good, cameras have still a considerable shutter lag, i.e. the time between pressing the shutter button and capturing the actual image.
With moving subjects this can be an issue since they may have left the frame in the meantime, or at least they are not anymore nicely framed.

Behind the camera the person may move the camera while or after pressing the shutter, with the same result a shooter will get when jerking the trigger.

Then are those other issues like messed up exposure times -usually to slow- or confused AF that want to be mastered ......

And no, you don't need a SLR to take in flight shoots. Many using those have similar problems and the solutions are the same. Make sure you use the right settings and handle the camera properly. It takes practice!

Indeed you don't NEED an DSLR to take birds in flight, though they are definitely faster and better designed for such shots...and not all P&S cameras are equal, so depending on your Fuji model, you may or may not have a good tool for such shots.

However, as also mentioned, even folks with DSLRs can struggle with birds in flight - it does require some practice, some skill, and some experience to really start to get right...quite a few people shoot for years until their skill has risen to the level where they can reliably shoot birds in flight. A DSLR can help make it easier, or increase the hit rate, IF you understand what you're doing, have the right settings, are using a good enough lens, and have good tracking/panning technique and timing. This is because the phase-detect focus systems are faster than typical contrast-detect focus systems used by fixed-lens compacts, and because the phase-detect AF systems can better track motion that is closing or parting from the camera's position. With practice and technique, good timing, and decently sized birds, a P&S can take bird in flight shots - but isn't likely going to work well with tiny sparrows at full speed...even DSLRs can struggle there. Seagulls, pelicans, large waders, etc you can shoot with a P&S with practice and timing - but don't expect a 100% hit rate. Even DSLR birders sometimes fire off bursts of shots of which some missed focus a bit or they didn't keep things in frame well enough - so maybe just one or two out of a sequence are keepers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back