• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod Recommendations (1 Viewer)

knotsbirder

Hi all,

Being a teenager on a fairly average budget I wondered if anybody could recommend a tripod in the price range of around £300 or less. I would like the Feisol CT-3372 idealy but at present it is out of my price range at present. I've decided to go with the Lensmaster RH-2 as a head. I use a Canon 40D plus battery grip and the Canon 100-400mm L, however I would like it to last me a long time and for when I hopefully upgrade my setup (not in the near future).

Cheers, Sam :king:

Edit: Anybody ever tried either of these:
http://www.feisoluk.com/Tripods-Sta...d-Class-Carbon-Fibre-Tripod/product_info.html
http://www.feisoluk.com/Tripods-Sta...d-Class-Carbon-Fibre-Tripod/product_info.html

Last edited:
Before you head too far down the budget path, read this article by Thom Hogan.
http://bythom.com/support.htm

Unless you have a really good reason, I'd stick with the Gitzo 3 series - the 3542LS would be the model of choice as it collapses to a length that fits in a medium sized suitcase.

I use the Really Right Stuff BH-55 and the Gitzo 3540LS. You could get away with the RRS BH-40. Markins makes a good ballhead that is a little cheaper - the Q20 and Q10 respectively. If you are trying to save money, go cheaper on the legs but don't compromise on the ballhead.

Just remember that if you buy a Gitzo tripod and use it near water, and especially near the sea, it will rust. A great product, but let down by using non-anodised bolts at the top. I have found this out to my cost. How they ever thought that they could use 5p bolts on a £550 tripod I have no idea, and my attempts to the company to replace them at no cost to me have been met with completely deaf ears. They'll replace the 5p bolts for me, but the cost is £12 each, and I need 3, and they would just rust again. You might think that customer service for a premium product like this might fall into the Swaro bracket - it does not! Not fit for purpose if you ask me, and I'm going to give them bad press whenever I can until they change their stance.

GITZO TRIPODS RUST!!!

Thanks guys. As I say I'm only a teenager with a limit as to what I spend, and the Gitzo's are out of the question as the simply cost too much (the one you recommend is at least 1.5x my maximum budget, so way out of the question).

Thanks again, Sam

Sam, I have the Feisol -3372 and as you have already indicated it is superb tripod - just as good as some Gitzo's costing a fair bit more IMO. On the assumption that some of the cheaper Feisol's are also well made I would have thought that something like the CT-3442 may well be a good bet.

I agree that the Feisol CT-3442 looks good, but would be tempted to pay the extra for the rapid version, its their take on the Gitzo ALR system

Nearly bought one myself, they were £299 and would have done if they were in stock or I hadn't picked up a s/hand Gitzo for a very decent price

Can also recommend the Markins head, got a M10 and its rock solid along with being really easy to set up and find the sweet spot

I use the Really Right Stuff BH-55 and the Gitzo 3540LS. You could get away with the RRS BH-40. Markins makes a good ballhead that is a little cheaper - the Q20 and Q10 respectively. If you are trying to save money, go cheaper on the legs but don't compromise on the ballhead.
You need to read the OP's post, he is already going for a gimbal head (far better than ball heads for birds) and was just asking about the tripod.

Only thing that bothers me about the CT-3442 is height. Anybody know the difference between the standard tripods and the rapid / tournament? At the moment I'm toying between the CT-3442 rapid and CT-3371 models.

Thanks again, Sam

Sam, as you already know the 3442 gives 142cm whereas the 3372 that I have gives 150cm - the difference being just over 3" in my talk, all I can say is I always use the 3372 with the bottom tube at least 8" less than the max (I am about 5'9"). So for me the 3442 would easily be adequate for height.
I do not know about the Lensmaster Gimbal but my Black widow Gimbal also has height adjustment and I use it at the lowest setting.

I must admit I do not know the difference between the Standard and Tournament grade tripod but if you email John Nevill who runs Feisol UK he would tell you - he is very helpful and a bird photographer himself.

The Rapid version was not available when I bought mine but adjusting the leg sections individually is no big deal for me (I always make the bottom leg the shortest for max stability) and can set the tripod up in less than a minute.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Being a teenager on a fairly average budget I wondered if anybody could recommend a tripod in the price range of around £300 or less. ......

You might also search on the Bay. I just got myself a Velbon carbon model for less than 235£ including shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120748461171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I took advantage of the "Make an offer" option which reduced the cost by a few pounds. Shipping standard method was fast. Don't know what you'd have to may on taxes on arrival though. Here in Switzerland it cost me an additional 17£, but that amount depends on the VAT of the individual country. Nevertheless, worth looking into it. The tripod arrived in perfect shape.

Last edited:
Only thing that bothers me about the CT-3442 is height. Anybody know the difference between the standard tripods and the rapid / tournament? At the moment I'm toying between the CT-3442 rapid and CT-3371 models.

Thanks again, Sam

I would definitely not go for the "classic" or standard Feisol. One reason for having replaced my previous Velbon was because the individual tubes are not stabilized against each other. Thus, it's a constant bother to make sure the upper locks are very tight before you can tighten or loosen the lower ones with one hand. Some people seem not to care, but for me this had been a nowadays avoidable nuisance from the start. It would be no problem with clamp or lever locks, only with the twist locks.

I must admit I do not know the difference between the Standard and Tournament grade tripod but if you email John Nevill who runs Feisol UK he would tell you - he is very helpful and a bird photographer himself.

The Rapid version was not available when I bought mine but adjusting the leg sections individually is no big deal for me (I always make the bottom leg the shortest for max stability) and can set the tripod up in less than a minute.

Hi Roy,

Asked about this yesterday, and very promptly recieved an answer from John that: "Rapid tripods have anti rotation legs. Standard tripods - main frame is CNC machined from cast alloy, overall loading capacity is lower and product weight is higher. Tournament tripods - main frame is CNC machined from billet alloy, overall loading capacity is higher and product weight is lower."

With all this in mind I think I'll go for the CT-3342 (probably Rapid) model. Thanks everybody for all of your help!

Sam :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back