• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (2 Viewers)

dwayne950 said:
I'm giving it a try tomorrow morning, hopefully the winds over night will have left a few Leach's lingering in the mouth of the Mersey. I'll post what i see to help anyone thinking of coming on Sunday.

Dan

My fingers are crossed as well, Dan. I won't be able to sleep tonight for worry. Good luck

Querquedula said:
My fingers are crossed as well, Dan. I won't be able to sleep tonight for worry. Good luck

Just been for a walk around Eccleston Mere and nearly got blown off my feet, so it looks reasonable at the moment. I look forward to hearing the tales from those who go. There's not many birding experiences more exhilarating than a good sea watch, ideally on Hilbre with the waves crashing over, but of the mainland sites, I enjoy Leasowe best of all.

Colin

11:10 01/10/05 Leach's Storm-petrel Cheshire Hilbre Island
six past this morning; also Storm Petrel

11:09 01/10/05 Leach's Storm-petrel Cheshire New Brighton
6 past Fort Perch Rock this morning

11:05 01/10/05 Leach's Storm-petrel Cheshire North Wirral CP
16 past Leasowe this morning

11:04 01/10/05 Leach's Storm-petrel Lancs Rossall Point 10:30
four past from 09:02-10:30
11:03 01/10/05 Leach's Storm-petrel Lancs Blackpool 10:30
four south from 08:45-10:30, viewed from lower promenade south of Gynn Square

09:38 01/10/05 Leach's Storm-petrel Cheshire New Brighton 09:00
one lingering off Fort Perch Rock this morning

09:36 01/10/05 Leach's Storm-petrel Lancs Rossall Point 09:02
one past this morning

09:10 01/10/05 Leach's Storm-petrel Lancs Blackpool 08:54
one flew south past North Shore this morning

Popped down to the embankment at Leasowe common between 10:45 and 12:15 had 35+ (gave up counting) Leach's through. Then moved to the embankment to the left of Leasowe Lighthouse, and had views down to less than 20ft ( no need for bins/scope ) as they made their way along the tide line. The sea here was much calmer, there is a sandbank just offshore which helps.

Great couple of hours, and only 5 minutes from home too :D .

I was indeed successfull, having c.30 Leach's in a 2 1/2 hour spell at New Brighton, some superb birds right by the tideline and others further out. Sadly missed Grey Phals up there, but also saw 1 Manxie and 2 Little Terns.

Leach's were being buffeted in to the mouth of the Mersey, meaning they had to fly along the tide line to escape the river.
At one point there was 3 Leachs all together in a tight ball in the same trough, not further than 40ft out, magical stuff. If the winds continue in to the evening i would imagine there will be similar numbers present in the morning, if not more. Today the waves were crashing up and sending spray everywhere - see attatched picture.

Cheers,

Dan

Attachments

• DSCN0356.JPG
    DSCN0356.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
I got to Rossall Point at Fleetwood just in time to see one as the tide retreated(there'd been 10 past in the previous couple of hours - nearly left it too late!).

Take a look at Steve Rounds tremendous images on Surfbirds and Birdguides - wish i'd of seen the Phal and Petrels that close, they really are superb.

Dan

dwayne950 said:
Leach's were being buffeted in to the mouth of the Mersey, meaning they had to fly along the tide line to escape the river.
At one point there was 3 Leachs all together in a tight ball in the same trough, not further than 40ft out, magical stuff. If the winds continue in to the evening i would imagine there will be similar numbers present in the morning, if not more.

The forecast is for the wind to increase overnight, but then gradually die down tomorrow. I might try Crosby, but it will be at first light because I've got a busy day tomorrow with other things. It will be 3 or 4 hours before high tide, but at Crosby the tide doesn't go all that far out, and your right on the mouth of the Mersey. Also, it's supposed to be quite sunny tomorrow morning, and at Crosby the sun is behind you in the morning, so the light hopefully will be good. I'll let you know how I get on (or you may read it first on BirdGuides!),

Colin

dwayne950 said:
Take a look at Steve Rounds tremendous images on Surfbirds and Birdguides - wish i'd of seen the Phal and Petrels that close, they really are superb.

Dan

Oh well done Dan. You did really well today to see all those Leach's fly past. Tell me, was it hard to see 30 fly past?
Ooh Dan, you are really super!

Querquedula said:
Oh well done Dan. You did really well today to see all those Leach's fly past. Tell me, was it hard to see 30 fly past?
Ooh Dan, you are really super!

Anything is possible with Super Jeff as your companion - as you well know ;)

Much quieter today as the winds died back overnight but a couple of hours at Moreton (near Leasowe) produced 5 Leach's, one very close inshore.

The strangest thing was that three of the five were flying quickly back towards New Brighton, not struggling west as is usual.

A Merlin and female Sparrowhawk provided some distraction, and a lone Guillemot drifted past allowing photo opportunities for those so inclined.

Most pleased there was a couple who had driven up from Cambridge, and at least two other birders for whom the Petrels were "lifers".

Looks like we are reaching that time of the year again. Few birds about this evening - should be available tomorrow.

Very little else at sea though

LUNDY FASTNET IRISH SEA
NORTHWEST 5 OR 6 BACKING SOUTH 4 OR 5 THEN INCREASING 6, VEERING
SOUTHWEST LATER IN LUNDY AND FASTNET. SHOWERS THEN RAIN. GOOD
BECOMING MODERATE OR POOR

Last edited:
Stormies and Leach's Petrels in the Mersey Estuary

Jane Turner said:
Looks like we are reaching that time of the year again. Few birds about this evening - should be available tomorrow.
Throughout the next six weeks there will be a daily bulletin of what has been seen in the Mersey Estuary, hopefully with pictures too atAnother Place... We are hoping to provide comprehensive commentary about what is happening especially if the conditions and tides are right. We would welcome contributions from other birders who are watching from The Wirral. Any help would be appreciated. Contributors could email their sightings to me at chris 'at' chrisgalvinphoto.com

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back