• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick Release Plates (1 Viewer)

does anyone have problems with quick release plates? I have a Velbon CX660 which has a plastic quick release catch (and a plastic crank handle) which I don't feel confident about.

I see other birders toting their scopes around on tripods over the shoulder but I daren't do that in case the scope falls off. I don't know if you should/could carry your scope in this way with just the quick release catch in play or whether everbody carrying them this way have the scopes screwed in. I've tried tightening the catch up but it still doesn't feel secure enough.

Appreciate any views.

Thanks

Ian

does anyone have problems with quick release plates? I have a Velbon CX660 which has a plastic quick release catch (and a plastic crank handle) which I don't feel confident about.

I don't know the Velbon quick release, but from what you wrote it seems to be a bit flimsy. The quick relase systems I use (Manfrotto, Gitzo, Arca Swiss) are all well made and made of metal. No problems at all, and I almost always carry my tripod with the scope attached. I personally wouldn't trust any plastic release catches and the like.

Hermann

I have also been interested in this topic.

So far, I have carried my scope and tripod separated - not wishing to have the scope fall off, or damage the thread on the scope. But as you say, every other birder I have seen, carries the tripod and scope attached to each other - usually slung over the shoulder.

I have a Manfrotto head on the tripod (Jessops carbon fibre), which is metal and quick release. Somehow over a period of time, the quick release mechanism became a little sluggish. One drop of oil quickly changed that - it snaps into place very sharply now.

It would take some quite unusual events for the quick release plate to detach itself from the scope (I think).

It would be great to hear some other opinions.

My very small, fairly cheap Velbon ballhead has an all-metal quick-release as far as I can tell. I don't think I'd trust my scope on plastic.

I've used a scope for birding for 25 years, I've always carried the scope attached to the tripod. Initially it was direct connection, then when I upgraded tripod it was with QR plates.
The major problem with carrying the scope with tripod attached is the strain on the screw attachment to the scope body. I've never had a QR plate break in all that time, but have had to have the scope body heli-coiled at least twice I cannot remember exactly as it was with a scope body I had during the 90's.
I now use a scopac to carry the tripod on my back with scope attached. This removes the strain on the scope fixing.

Last edited:
I've used a scope for birding for 25 years, I've always carried the scope attached to the tripod. Initially it was direct connection, then when I upgraded tripod it was with QR plates.
The major problem with carrying the scope with tripod attached is the strain on the screw attachment to the scope body. I've never had a QR plate break in all that time, but have had to have the scope body heli-coiled at least twice I cannot remember exactly as it was with a scope body I had during the 90's.
I now use a scopac to carry the tripod on my back with scope attached. This removes the strain on the scope fixing.

Thanks for the reply Keith.

I have been hovering over the "buy" button on those Scopacs more than a few times recently.

What stops me though is, how do you carry your flask and sarnies? Or waterproof in summer (obviously in winter you will be wearing it).

I have a bum bag that sits under the scopac, I've also got a larger bag that I can use if I need to which also will be below the scopac.
However cargo pants are a god send as there is so much I cram into the leg pockets on those, plus a multi pocket waistcoat.
The new scopacs feature bags that attach to the pac to allow for sarnies etc.

This has been a bugbear for me over the years. I carry my Velbon tripod with scope attached and on the odd occasion the screw attachment has worked loose and the scope has fallen off. A new tripod and quick-release plate has helped, but I'm always wary when out in the field.

Dave W

Thanks all for the comments/advice. I've had another play with the quick release - took it apart and reset and it seems to be clicking into place better. I think that, a drop of oil, a strap and taking care in the field will do the trick. I might also look at at a scopac - birthday coming up and if I can sweet talk the missus!

Back in the '80s I had a problem with the thread on my Kowa scope stripping if I carried it on my tripod. After replacing the ring the baseplate was part of for a third time I ended up using Loctite on the thread of the QR plate. Not much use if you're thinking of trading in your scope in the future - but I had no trouble after that.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back