• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which do I buy? FZ200 or FZ330 (1 Viewer)

Steve Waite

What you looking at?
First and foremost, I am a bridge camera kinda guy, they really work for me, I enjoy using them and am happy with the results I get. Also I am a Panasonic fan, but sadly my DMC FZ35 has finally given up.

I've spent ages looking at what I should go for now, taking into consideration the fact I have rather limited funds. And I am stuck between the FZ200 (which I can get for about £220) and the FZ330 (at about £340).

All I'm trying to gauge is is the FZ330 worth the extra £110? If it is then I will happily go for it, but if it can't be justified then I don't want to waste the money. I do like the fact I connect the 330 to wifi, that it's water and sand proof and the new touch screen. But when it comes to taking photos, it looks to me like quality between the two is pretty much the same.

Any comments or advice welcome, especially from anyone who has owned both cameras.

Best wishes

Just went through the same comparison myself. I live in the tropics so any weather sealing is welcome. Also the video in FZ330 is superior. Still quality probably marginally better on later camera due to new engine but not by much. Also there was an issue with the FZ200 of the thumbwheel that was a bit dicey and replaced in the 330 with a better knob.

With all that said, while I am buying the 330, would be very happy also with the 200.

First and foremost, I am a bridge camera kinda guy, they really work for me, I enjoy using them and am happy with the results I get. Also I am a Panasonic fan, but sadly my DMC FZ35 has finally given up.

I've spent ages looking at what I should go for now, taking into consideration the fact I have rather limited funds. And I am stuck between the FZ200 (which I can get for about £220) and the FZ330 (at about £340).

All I'm trying to gauge is is the FZ330 worth the extra £110? If it is then I will happily go for it, but if it can't be justified then I don't want to waste the money. I do like the fact I connect the 330 to wifi, that it's water and sand proof and the new touch screen. But when it comes to taking photos, it looks to me like quality between the two is pretty much the same.

Any comments or advice welcome, especially from anyone who has owned both cameras.

Best wishes

I had the fz35 then moved to the fz 150 ,this was a improvement have now steeped up to the fz 330 and this is another step up ,not had the 200 but the 330 is a great camera

................. Also there was an issue with the FZ200 of the thumbwheel that was a bit dicey ...........

I had not been aware of this until it happened to me a week ago. Very annoying indeed. Suddenly, my exposure compensation was stuck at minus two (glad it did not happen at plus five or so). Thus resulting in somewhat underexposed shots. Using the "donkey" setting IA (like the call of a donkey in German) actually "intelligent autoexposure, I managed to get around to some extent at first. But it's not a feasible way in the long run as it curtails creativity. And if one wants to have it repaired after warranty has run out, it's going to cost so much as to make this a rather stupid looking decision. But then, with every generation, this FZ series has become larger and heavier. And I think the 300 series has gone too high for my liking. So far, I'm trying to get by with the circumvention method, using the trash can cum quick menu button. A method found in the internet.

Last edited:
......... So far, I'm trying to get by with the circumvention method, using the trash can cum quick menu button. A method found in the internet.

I just returned from a birding and wildlife watching tour in Uganda. I had decided to use this camera despite the thumbwheel problem. In the end, I think I managed reasonably well with the "trash can" method. Though every now and then I get mixed up and need a bit more time to get back to the routine. So I missed a few shots, but no critical ones, I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back