• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/monopod support for large Canon lens (1 Viewer)

Barry Boswell

I am the recent, and somewhat overawed owner of a new Canon EF500mm F4L lens. I have to confess I did not fully appreciate quite what a monster it is until I got my hands on it! Carrying the lens about or using it from a car is not likely to present a problem, but supporting it in the field whilst remaining mobile, does not seem too easy.

My old Manfrotto tripod hardly seems up to the job - particularly the head which has a single 1/4 inch thread.

So - I would welcome advice. I was thinking of trying a monopod (which I have not used before) but it would require a good one with a substantial, quick attach/release head.

Any thoughts or ideas would be really welcome.

Thanks, Barry Boswell

I use the same lens Barry and recommend a Gitzo Carbon Fibre 1329 tripod and a Wimberley Head. The bad news is this little bundle will set you back around £500. But its quality gear for what is probably the best lens on the market.

It will probably be cheaper to ship both in from the USA rather than buy them here in rip-off-Britain. Order with B&H in New York and UPS will handle all the taxes and duty fees directly with you once it arrives in the UK.

Cheers

Hugh

Barry Boswell said:
I am the recent, and somewhat overawed owner of a new Canon EF500mm F4L lens.
So - I would welcome advice. I was thinking of trying a monopod (which I have not used before) but it would require a good one with a substantial, quick attach/release head.

Any thoughts or ideas would be really welcome.

Thanks, Barry Boswell

While I don't have a 500mm I do use a 300mm and a 100-400mm with both a monopod and a tripod. Almost all of my photography is nature and most of that is birding. Even with these lighter weight lenses I find a tripod is preferred. The monopod is small enough to fly with me and is good support for bright days while walking in the woods - but the tripod is preferred any other time.

The tripod allows for framing and re-framing the shots - it provides for a much more stable shooting platform - it would be a much more secure platform for that huge lens!

I'd recommend a very good ball-head that you could use with other lenses - it would be cheaper and much lighter weight than a Wimberly.

I just bought a monopod from B and H when I was in New York to use with my D2x and Nikon 300/2.8. I took it out on Friday all day ( I had the 1.4x on the lens) as I didn't want to carry a tripod around. I mostly used it in the hides and it was ok but not as solid as I would like. I did need to brace the monopod against the ledge in the hide and also rest the lens hood on the window ledge. For flight shots out in the open the monopod would be ok with image stabilising on. You'll get a sore shoulder carrying a 500mm lens plus tripod around all day. My next purchase will be a whimberly head. Neil.

I use a Canon 300f2.8 with 1.4 and 2x extenders on a 1D MKII, so the combination is pretty heavy. I use both a monopod and tripod (cheap Manfrotto monopod and Gitzo 1375 tripod with Arca Swiss monoball). Each has it's own place. For ultimate resolution (the kind you paid for with that 500) you have to have the best tripod combination you can afford. The monopod will give you acceptable results under good lighting conditions, but definitely not the results the lens is capable of.

Art Thorn said:
I use a Canon 300f2.8 with 1.4 and 2x extenders on a 1D MKII, so the combination is pretty heavy. I use both a monopod and tripod (cheap Manfrotto monopod and Gitzo 1375 tripod with Arca Swiss monoball). Each has it's own place. For ultimate resolution (the kind you paid for with that 500) you have to have the best tripod combination you can afford. The monopod will give you acceptable results under good lighting conditions, but definitely not the results the lens is capable of.

I only have the 100-400L with 20D so I can manage handheld with reasonable results in good light. I've been looking at a second lens and am looking at a long prime. Reading this I am now looking to downsize my original idea from the 500 or 400 to the 300 and use a convertor. Art do you have any examples of this combination? Generaly I won't be going far with the kit but any sort of distance and then try to hold a 500 steady or even a 400 is begining to sound too much so then I will have to carry a reasonably beefy tripod as well. It is all sounding heavier and heavier.

Hi Paul,

I do have results and they are quite impressive, particularly when blown up to 100%. I could try to send you a small piece of a photo, but the screen resolution will not show the detail that is there in a good print (I use an Epson 4000). More importantly, I am on an incredibly slow dial-up connection (24KB) and nothing better is available where I live, so I have never tried to post anything. I could try though. Do you have an email address I could use use?
PWG said:
I only have the 100-400L with 20D so I can manage handheld with reasonable results in good light. I've been looking at a second lens and am looking at a long prime. Reading this I am now looking to downsize my original idea from the 500 or 400 to the 300 and use a convertor. Art do you have any examples of this combination? Generaly I won't be going far with the kit but any sort of distance and then try to hold a 500 steady or even a 400 is begining to sound too much so then I will have to carry a reasonably beefy tripod as well. It is all sounding heavier and heavier.

Hugh Harrop said:
I use the same lens Barry and recommend a Gitzo Carbon Fibre 1329 tripod and a Wimberley Head. The bad news is this little bundle will set you back around £500. But its quality gear for what is probably the best lens on the market.

It will probably be cheaper to ship both in from the USA rather than buy them here in rip-off-Britain. Order with B&H in New York and UPS will handle all the taxes and duty fees directly with you once it arrives in the UK.

Cheers

Hugh

Agree entirely with Hugh. I purchased a similar set-up (Gitzo 1348 and Wimberley Sidekick) from B&H, and haven't regretted it at all. I had a fairly decent Manfrotto before buying the Gitzo etc, but the step up in quality was well worth the change.

Cheers

K

I too have the 500mm lens. Quite a weight - merits the best support you can give it.

I have a Manfrotto tripod but also have the Wimberley sidekick set up - superb, effortless movement of the lens / camera on a sturdy platform. I bought my Wimberley (and lens) from B+H and imported to the UK - brilliant service from B+H - I've also bought other photographic bits and pieces from them in the past and they are (in my experience) faultless, and put many UK dealers to shame with the quality of their service.

Kevin

Kite said:
Agree entirely with Hugh. I purchased a similar set-up (Gitzo 1348 and Wimberley Sidekick) from B&H, and haven't regretted it at all. I had a fairly decent Manfrotto before buying the Gitzo etc, but the step up in quality was well worth the change.

Cheers

K

Like Hugh & the others above I would suggest a Wimberley gimbal head & Gitzo carbon fibre tripod. I would also suggest fitting a leveling base for quick leveling of the tripod head.
The Canon 500mm IS lens is certainly a great lens which deserves the best support gear. I would however also suggest that you should at times try handholding it (despite conventional wisdom) -even with a 1.4x convertor as with the IS function & a practised technique this will yield many good images that you couldn't hope to catch with a tripod rig. Many such shots obtained may not be top publishing material but are often very good. I've just returned from West Africa & by handholding my 500 lens + 1.4x convertor I was able to get shots of almost every bird I wanted images of. Adding in a monopod would I'm sure improve sharpness further without compromising mobility. Yes it is a heavy lens but when the birds come thick & fast adrenaline makes the kit so much lighter. ;)

One more vote for the Gitzo CF 1325/1329. I use an Arca-Swiss A-1 for the Canon 500/4.5.

A few years ago we Yanks were buying the Gitzos from Robert White. Interesting to hear how the Brits are buying from B&H.

A cheaper alternative to the Sidekick that you might like to consider is the Manfrotto 393. I got mine from Warehouse Express for £100. I've not used the Sidekick so don't know how it compares but I'm very impressed with my 393. I'm using it with my Sigma 500mm which is a bit smaller and lighter than the Canon but I get the impression the 393 would easily cope with a much bigger lens.

Sean

Interesting to hear how the Brits are buying from B&H.[/QUOTE said:
Good exchange rate at the moment for the £ vs the $ and SUPERB service from B&H (web or by voice) that puts most British suppliers to shame. I get stuff shipped to me that arrives in 5 days from New York to Shetland, pay the duty via the UPS broker and still save ££££'s.

Hugh

SeanKP said:
A cheaper alternative to the Sidekick that you might like to consider is the Manfrotto 393. I'm using it with my Sigma 500mm which is a bit smaller and lighter than the Canon but I get the impression the 393 would easily cope with a much bigger lens.

Sean
It's more than capable of holding big lenses steady... I use a 600/4 and I know a few, such as Romy Ocon, using the Sigma 300-800mm with it.

I think Warehouse Express have a mail order return full Wimberley at the moment for £350... saw one guy (no names ;) shell out £440 on ebay for a used one!!

SeanKP said:
A cheaper alternative to the Sidekick that you might like to consider is the Manfrotto 393. I got mine from Warehouse Express for £100. I've not used the Sidekick so don't know how it compares but I'm very impressed with my 393. I'm using it with my Sigma 500mm which is a bit smaller and lighter than the Canon but I get the impression the 393 would easily cope with a much bigger lens.

Sean

Glad to hear that the 393 is working well with your Sigma 500 - I've been tempted to get one to use with mine, but really want to see one in action first. Your positive comments might convince me to try one...

I just got back to this thrwad, and I apologise for not acknowledging all of the response sooner. I have a Manfrotto 128RC, (that's what it says on it) which I have had for a couple of years - purchased ititially to hold a spotting scope. It seems to cope with the Canon 500mm lens set up (just) but is very unwieldy. Guess I will have to save up (again) and buy something better.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded. Once again I am a bit more knowledgeable than I used to be!

postcardcv said:
Glad to hear that the 393 is working well with your Sigma 500 - I've been tempted to get one to use with mine, but really want to see one in action first. Your positive comments might convince me to try one...
I'm hoping to get up to Norfolk for a weekend early next year so maybe we could meet up and you could give it a test drive.

Hi Barry - I too have the 128RC head but not tried it with the 500mm since I bought the lens. I think the freedom of movement the Wimberley gives is too good to use the 128RC.

Kevin

Barry Boswell said:
I just got back to this thrwad, and I apologise for not acknowledging all of the response sooner. I have a Manfrotto 128RC, (that's what it says on it) which I have had for a couple of years - purchased ititially to hold a spotting scope. It seems to cope with the Canon 500mm lens set up (just) but is very unwieldy. Guess I will have to save up (again) and buy something better.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded. Once again I am a bit more knowledgeable than I used to be!

Barry Boswell said:
I just got back to this thrwad, and I apologise for not acknowledging all of the response sooner. I have a Manfrotto 128RC, (that's what it says on it) which I have had for a couple of years - purchased ititially to hold a spotting scope. It seems to cope with the Canon 500mm lens set up (just) but is very unwieldy.

OMG Barry! A 500/4 on the 128! Please don't. I would hate to see you lose that lens!

Would a Manfrotto 701RC2 head do the job? I currently use it for a Scope or a 20D with a EF 100-300 zoom fitted. With the 055MF4 tripod the set up seems very stable.

(Hello by the way from a Newbie to this site).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back