• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found bird with broken wing question (1 Viewer)

I found a baby mocking bird on Saturday that fell out of a nest and decided that I could not just leave it to be eaten by a cat or ants. It was kind of holding its wing funny so I assumed that it was broken but wasn't sure. Now I am pretty sure that the wing is broken, there is a scab under the wing and he doesn't move it very well. I don't know how old it is but it has most of its feathers on its wings and on his back, his "undercarridge" is a little bare still :). I have been hand feeding him and he is doing pretty well with that so far. I was hoping that he would catch on to eating seed quickly as I don't have a whole lot of time to be hand feeding him. Anyways, my question is, if the wing is in fact broken, how much of a chance will this bird have? I am not looking for a pet, I need to get him up and running and then let him go as soon as he can fly well.

Thanks
Brian

robinm said:
Hi Brian,

Welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

Here is some general advice that should help - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36564

The main thing is to get it to a rehabber as soon as possible.

Ah, great thanks for the info. There is a neighborhood cat that is in my yard all the time so it wouldn't have lasted 1/2 hour on the ground in my front yard. Hopefully he will pull through, I will try to find a local rehab place for him

Last edited:
my65289stang said:
Ah, great thanks for the info. There is a neighborhood cat that is in my yard all the time so it wouldn't have lasted 1/2 hour on the ground in my front yard. Hopefully he will pull through, I will try to find a local rehab place for him
Let us know how you get on :t:

Hi Brian and a warm welcome to you and thanks for caring enough to do something :t:

Here is a link to all the rehabbers in your area. Just scroll down til you get to Arizona. Good luck and keep us posted please.

Rehabbers

KCFoggin said:
Hi Brian and a warm welcome to you and thanks for caring enough to do something :t:

Here is a link to all the rehabbers in your area. Just scroll down til you get to Arizona. Good luck and keep us posted please.

Rehabbers

KCFoggin-
Thanks a bunch, I was having a little trouble finding a place. I will let you guys know how it comes out and I will probably be hanging out around here, I just found the site today. I will fill out my profile and such but just wanted to get a quick answer to get this little guy on his way. I used to have a 12' X 8' aviary in my back yard with a little less than 100 lovebirds which I had to sell to help pay for college. I know, I know, I didn't have a choice. I also had 2 indian ringneck parakeets that I had to sell but I am looking to get another one in the near future. There is a bird expo coming to town in Nov that I go to every year and I might get one there.

thanks again for all of the help....and fast help
Brian

Brian,

Agree with the rehab people 100%. I'm not sure of the time there, but if you have to wait for help, you might want to scramble an egg for the little guy. Mockingbirds are really not seed eaters, and young birds need to eat often. He may need to eat before you can find help. Let the egg cool and set a dish in front of him, most likely he'll eat himself. If not, you can hold some egg with tweezers and touch the side of his mouth with them, he should eat. Hope you can get speedy help and not be stressed. Good on ya for helping.

Oops, posted after I saw your post. If you had that many birds, you probably will know how to feed this guy, not to mention have an understanding of birds. Glad you found a place.

Peregrinator said:
Oops, posted after I saw your post. If you had that many birds, you probably will know how to feed this guy, not to mention have an understanding of birds. Glad you found a place.

No, that is great, I don't know much about mockingbirds so I will try the egg for sure, thanks. I have been able to fill his crop, he does pretty good with it and almost as much comes out as goes in so that is always good to see. He seems to be running on E after about 3 hours so it is kicking my butt keeping up with him :) The first summer that I had lovebirds I hand fed 5 of them (this is when I was about 16) and they burned up my whole summer feeding them every few hours, it was pretty cool though having 5 of the little rug rats that were so attached to me

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back