• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (2 Viewers)

Out in Tyresta National Park today. Excellent day, went out for Kingfisher which was I did not see, but found a Dipper instead, managed to get a sketch done. Reasonable bird in the area, though Tyresta seems to get the bulk of the records.
Redwing was not expected either, very obliging bird too, feeding on crab apples that looked well past their sell by date!
Frustratingly heard a Pygmy Owl calling in the forest which I could not pinpoint before darkness fell.

Both sketches done with black biro.

Attachments

• Dipper.jpg
    Dipper.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 263
  • Redwing.jpg
    Redwing.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 242
I absolutely adore the redwing, Alan - a great little bird (shouldn't this fella have gone south by now?). The dipper looks like it knows Monday is just around the corner - it has a super attitude - great work (as usual).

Bullfinches and Willow Tits

Bullfiches and Willow Tits, Norra Jarvafältet, around Lake Ravalen. Not many birds around so you sketch the few you come across! No distractions!

Nice to see willow tit though...

Attachments

• bull1.jpg
    bull1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 224
  • bull2.jpg
    bull2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 204
  • awillow1.jpg
    awillow1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 189
  • awillow2.jpg
    awillow2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 201
  • awillow3.jpg
    awillow3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 192
Alan - this is real fieldwork! -If more people made such intricate notes about plumage, habit and habitat, instead of pointing and firing, I'm sure they'd get more out of birdwatching. (I say this with reference to the Willow/Marsh debate currently raging.) More to the point though they're also fine art - some trick to pull off, my friend!

timwootton said:
Alan - this is real fieldwork! -If more people made such intricate notes about plumage, habit and habitat, instead of pointing and firing, I'm sure they'd get more out of birdwatching. (I say this with reference to the Willow/Marsh debate currently raging.) More to the point though they're also fine art - some trick to pull off, my friend!

Wasn't aware such a fine heated debate was going on til now!

Truly though, I feel that a sketch portrays a thousand words. When you draw a bird you really see it I think, whats in front of you that is, as opposed to a preconception of what "should" be there. Drawing birds really opens your eyes to how incredibly variable individual birds are within their own species. More people should indeed sketch, regardless of the the level of their ability to draw...

ive always wanted to be able to record what i see by drawing, but i am so horrible at it, i picked up a nice camera instead! Good drawings keep posting them!

buzzard12 said:
Here are two more. Perigrine from last week out on the archipelago, a most cooperative subject, sat for almost an hour! Male, adult bird.

The other is a colour field sketch of one of my favourite passerines, Wood Warbler, from earlier in the summer. Again, a great subject to draw, staying on the same perch singing its guts out as I sketched....
Very nice work, oh to be able to sketch

wow Buzzard, I'm a great admirer of your biro work, there is such freshness and conviction in every line. I'd love to have your talent. Now I regret having stayed at home today when I could have gone out sketching, oh well, Saturday's not far off! Also congrats on your work on surfbirds, nice to see a revival of artwork on there at the moment.

The last few days out between Norra Jarvafältet and Nack Strand. Mild weather happily continues..

Male Long Tailed Duck at Nacka, common winter bird here.

Tufted Ducks at Norra Jarva, same location for the Lesser Spotted Pecker.
All done with black biro.

Attachments

• 11longtails sketch.jpg
    11longtails sketch.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 11longtailsketch.jpg
    11longtailsketch.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 11tuftiesketch.jpg
    11tuftiesketch.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 11tuftedpairsketch.jpg
    11tuftedpairsketch.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 199
  • 11Lesserspotsketch.jpg
    11Lesserspotsketch.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 258
Great stuff Buzz.

I admire how you manage to be so positive with your pen strokes. When I sketch my lines start rough and, as I look at the subject, they coalesce (sp?) into more positive, descriptive lines and the pencil strokes get darker as I feel they are right.

Keep 'em coming it's great to 'watch' your sketchbook filling up.

Woody

Alan - these are really getting into the realm of sublimity here. The l s woodpecker gave me the same feeling as I got when I first saw Lars Jonsson's Birds of B&EwME - particularly the warbler paintings. It's that feeling you get when something is 'just right' - the shape the bird makes, the way the feathers can be seen to fall over the muscle structure -it's just a perfect drawing.
Oh, the others aren't bad, either! ;)

Ps - I've just spotted a piece of 'Artist's Thumb' on the drake tuftie drawing - gotcha!

Oops! The thumb....I feel it had to make an appearance at some stage, after all, it has contributed hugely to the thread!

Ural Sketches..

Caught up on this one yesterday, life bird for me. Didnt get a huge amount done, bird not present today...Would love to get this one stationary at close range for an hour or two...

(Later Edit)Have just learned this bird was hit by a Goshawk this morning, then reappeared in the late evening and seems to be okay. Fears for this birds health, appears to be thin and very hungry, forcing it to hunt in daylight.
Fingers crossed it will find some food over the coming days..

Attachments

• Uraal sk 3.jpg
    Uraal sk 3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 222
  • ural sk 2.jpg
    ural sk 2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Ural sk 1.jpg
    Ural sk 1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Another lovely set of drawings Alan - I can see there's mileage in this particular set of drawings (the 3rd would translate almost directly into a very nice painting, I think). Hope for good news re your subject, also.

Sadly Tim there is no good news. The bird was picked up afterwards having died from the Goshawk strike. It seems perhaps that the owl was indeed weak and perhaps the hawk picked up on this. I remind myself that this is the very essence of natural selection and an example of the force that shapes the beautiful creatures we live to watch...
Still a shame though, it was the a stunningly beautiful creature. Assuredly, it will live long in my memory..

another set of beautiful drawings, that lesser pecker is fantastic. Was sketching one this week and it just wouldn't form on the page. Must try harder to concentrate next time!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back